free website stats program solenoid sticking? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

solenoid sticking?

Well. I replaced the solenoid from the outside of the primary case and when I hit the start button it tried to start initially but then the starter ran continuously, without cranking the engine, until I disconnected the battery. I guess something inside was jammed and not working mechanically to allow engaging of the engine? While I was attempting to disconnect the battery, the starter smoked a little and ran slower and slower (battery dying?). I then had to go into the primary case and see what was doing. I did not see anything special, but I just reattached the solenoid and rattled the inners a little to make sure it was free. When I went to try starting again, it did not run coninuously but made a slight grinding sound; like it tried to start but could not turn over. Could the battery be dead from the running of the starter? I am charging the battery and will try again. It is a HD #65991-82B sealed battery --how do I charge it? I have a 12V charger that can be set to 10amp or 2amp.

Thanks!!! I am trying to make it to Gettysburg this Saturday. Help!

Trickle charge your bat. on 2 amp. and take the starter out . either the armature has a bad winding or you have cooked the brushes

(EDIT)!!!!!! I am ready to toss the bike down a ravine.

It started and ran good all day. Then on the way home the lights went dim the engine stalled and when I pulled in my garage and turned off the ignition, the starter was engaged and constantly running!

What the heck is going on??? Why would it engage while I am riding?

HELP PLEASE!

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be a ground in the starting circuit to the start button that is energizing the starter just like pressing the button or possibly a bad starter relay too.

I think I found something that is giving me relief mentally... that the running of the starter may not be a mystery happening out of nowhere. When I examined the solenoid for heat damage I noticed the relay's cover was gone and the exposed insides were touching the frame. A-ha. Maybe that is why the starter kept running all of the sudden while riding. I will make sure the solenoid is not damaged and replace the relay. Hopefully that will fix that. I just need to find a way to secure the relay so it does not rattle around and break again. A cable tie evidently did not do the trick.

I think I found something that is giving me relief mentally... that the running of the starter may not be a mystery happening out of nowhere. When I examined the solenoid for heat damage I noticed the relay's cover was gone and the exposed insides were touching the frame. A-ha. Maybe that is why the starter kept running all of the sudden while riding. I will make sure the solenoid is not damaged and replace the relay. Hopefully that will fix that. I just need to find a way to secure the relay so it does not rattle around and break again. A cable tie evidently did not do the trick.
I would imagine that power to the starter motor itself does not go though the ignition switch so, if the solenoid (the only thing going through the switch) is stuck, the starter will not go off when you turn the switch.

Back