free website stats program softtail shock adj | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

softtail shock adj

Ok someone correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like we are talking about two different adjustments. The plate in the rear of the shocks with the square slots when turned in or out compress the springs and increase or decrease the spring preload. Turning the canister or screwing the attachment eyebolt raises and lowers the swingarm. Is my thinking right?

You need to jack it up high to get more clearance, I use HF yellow jack, put some spacer under the the frame so the jack will not touch the shocks, jack it up high then you'll be able to do it, I did mine that way.

Ok someone correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like we are talking about two different adjustments. The plate in the rear of the shocks with the square slots when turned in or out compress the springs and increase or decrease the spring preload. Turning the canister or screwing the attachment eyebolt raises and lowers the swingarm. Is my thinking right?

Unless it is different on a 2001 model versus a 2008 model there is only one adjustment on the softail shocks.

Here is the page out of my 08 service manual.

Attachments

• Adjustment.jpg
    Adjustment.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 60
They are different than my '94FLSTC. I can take the shocks loose from the swingarm and unscrew the attachment eyebolts or screw them in to change the height of the swingarm. There is a plate in the canister rear that can be screwed in or out and it changes the spring preload.

They turn as a unit, don't turn the shell separately.

They are soft at factory setting and bottom out easily.
Turn them out (toward the lock nut) equally about 1 to 1&1/2 turns.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

I have an 08. I did not have a way to lift my rear end so i parked her up on a bouple of 2x8's and then put an equal amount under the kick (jiffy) stand. Plenty of room, but I have no clue if I adjusted them properly. I painted the ref dot but even with the height, it was still very tight in there to work with a spanner wrench and the crescent wrench, Might try again this summer with a friend. Atleast i messed em up equal on each side...lol. Goal was a bit softer of a ride. the prior owner was 6 inches taller and 100 lbs heaver then me. :)

THANKS to all responders. I really appreciate all your input.
The directions are simple - loosen jam nut - adjust shocks - tighten jam nut.

I understand all that - my problem is there is not enough room to get the spanner wrench on and also, IF you do get the spanner wrench on, theres no room to turn it and adjust the shock. Some pictures indicate only ONE shock is on the bike - some indicate the shock is not even on the bike. I think that may be the way to adjust them.

I will get back down there and loosen the jam nuts and try to grab the shock can and turn it - while watching the end and make sure it is turning also.

IF that does not work - then to adjust the shocks - I will remove them from the bike. IT has got to be feasible - what do you do when you replace your shocks - remove the old ones and install the new ones. I will just "trick" the bike and remove the old ones - adjust them - and reinstall the same OLD ones.:s

Bill

Thanks again for everyones input and help.

Billbo

What if you used a scissor jack and just lift the back wheel? I have one that lifts 16 inches and then there's lots of room to work underneath the bike.

Back