free website stats program Softail Vibration. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Softail Vibration.

Latest update. Dealer rode the bike for a couple hours, found there was a vibration, it went away when clutch was pulled in, brought bike back to shop, shop foreman took bike out for ride as well and now tell me that all Softail have a vibration. Apparently everyone was complaining that they were too smooth and people were falling asleep while riding, so the Motor Company changed the motor design to incorporate more vibration to resemble the old hogs that rattled your fillings out while riding.

So I ask all you well seasoned Softail riders. What are your thoughts on that statement? Any other riders with 2011 to 2014 Softails that have vibrations in their scooter at highway speeds in the upper gears or when you rev the motor up with no load? Thanks guys.

Latest update. Dealer rode the bike for a couple hours, found there was a vibration, it went away when clutch was pulled in, brought bike back to shop, shop foreman took bike out for ride as well and now tell me that all Softail have a vibration. Apparently everyone was complaining that they were too smooth and people were falling asleep while riding, so the Motor Company changed the motor design to incorporate more vibration to resemble the old hogs that rattled your fillings out while riding.

So I ask all you well seasoned Softail riders. What are your thoughts on that statement? Any other riders with 2011 to 2014 Softails that have vibrations in their scooter at highway speeds in the upper gears or when you rev the motor up with no load? Thanks guys.

It is actually the opposite the older softails were solid mount engines and would shake your teeth out, the NEW counterbalances were designed to take that vibration out , I would find a better dealer to test ride and evaluate your bike

LOL at dealer's input. Funny how that seems to be the most common answer for almost any issue with a bike most dealers sell. If the vibration is that noticable to you, chances are there is a legit issue. As many here have stated, there could be ANY number of things causing the problem, and it's unfortunate that it's not an "easy" diagnosis. That being said, It definitely seems transmission related. You seem like you would know better, but it never hurts to suggest making sure you have checked the tranny fluid level. Perhaps even draining the tranny to check the fluid for any alarming amount of metal shavings. Keep us posted, as I'm rather curious..Good luck!

shop foreman took bike out for ride as well and now tell me that all Softail have a vibration. Apparently everyone was complaining that they were too smooth and people were falling asleep while riding, so the Motor Company changed the motor design to incorporate more vibration to resemble the old hogs that rattled your fillings out while riding.

Say what? Wow, (Edit) that guy fed you! Hate to say it, but it's definitely time to leave that dealer and go else where for a diagnosis.

Please Click the below link and read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Friend of mine had much the same vibration on her 2011 Heritage a couple of years ago. It was loose spokes on the rear wheel (dealer missed on first service). Two other HOG members in my area have had the same issues and all of them where loose spokes. Just something to check!:D

Thanks for the input LarryC08. I'll definitely look into that. They supposedly looked at all of that during the last service, but perhaps that might be a stretch as well. I just picked the bike up this afternoon and they now suggested that perhaps it is fitment issue, that maybe I need to change my seat or adjust my handlebars to get rid of the vibration I am feeling. I talked to another dealer yesterday that would like to take the bike for a ride. Their thoughts are that my bike should not put my hands and feet to sleep so there must be something wrong somewhere. I'll keep you all posted as to what I find.

I have a 2013 Heritage and have gone on two rides over 2K miles in the last six months. Mine is smooth as butter. I have not had any vibration issues. I am really impressed with the comfort and how smooth it is. Actually it really performs smooth during the top two gears. With what you are stating it seems something is going on. I have heard and read several people who have had issues with front wheel spokes being loose.

Hi, did you ever get this resolved, I'm having the exact same discussions about the same issues with my dealer at the moment about my 2011 softail.

Back