free website stats program Softail Slim @ Super Tuner Pro | Harley Davidson Forums

Softail Slim @ Super Tuner Pro

slimster

Hey there folks,

I am kinda new to this forum but I hope ya will help me out with my problem.

My current setup ist:
Softail Slim FLS 12
AMC (german pipes / Open)
K&N Aircleaner in stock box

So after I installed the new pipes my loved bike began to bang out of the pipes. Well I was told to use some kind of EFI tuning. So I went to my fav. dealer and he installed my the super tunes pro. Well he went on a ride for a few mins and used a preconfigured map. You can imagine that the banging didnt stop, however the performance in low accelleration is now better than before.

After that I called him and told him that the banging is no good sign and something is quite faulty there. He told me without a heavy breather or a big sucker this would not get better.

My question to you guys:

1. isnt the K&N filter in the original box enough? Do i really need a big sucker in order to reduce the banging in my pipes?

2. Could anyone help me out with a map where I could compare what might went wrong with the dealer setup. Although I know 30 minutes is by far not enough to get a almost good setup.

Would be nice if ya could help me out here.
Thanks in advance,

Andreas

Hey there folks,

My current setup ist:
Softail Slim FLS 12

So after I installed the new pipes my loved bike began to bang out of the pipes. Well I was told to use some kind of EFI tuning. So I went to my fav. dealer and he installed my the super tunes pro. Well he went on a ride for a few mins and used a preconfigured map. You can imagine that the banging didnt stop, however the performance in low accelleration is now better than before.

After that I called him and told him that the banging is no good sign and something is quite faulty there. He told me without a heavy breather or a big sucker this would not get better.

My question to you guys:

1. isnt the K&N filter in the original box enough? Do i really need a big sucker in order to reduce the banging in my pipes?

2. Could anyone help me out with a map where I could compare what might went wrong with the dealer setup. Although I know 30 minutes is by far not enough to get a almost good setup.

Thanks in advance,

Andreas

Welcome to The Forum. A new free flowing air filter like the Big Sucker is going to lean your bike out more, I would find a new dealer who will tell you the correct info and not just sell you parts and hope for the best results and empty your wallet JMO

What do you mean by "bang out the pipes?" Do you mean popping on decel? If so, popping can be due to an intake leak, or too lean of a fuel/air mix. This is not necessrily so, however. Some pipes, like Hooker Tuned-Flow just pop. In order to make it stop you can add a bit of fuel during full-off decel, if you have that parameter in your tuner.

Other causes may exist. Popping is not necessarily bad or damaging, or indicative of an issue. Very free flowing systems do tend to pop.

Good luck,
Rich P

Hey there folks,

My current setup ist:
Softail Slim FLS 12

My question to you guys:

Thanks in advance,

Andreas

I don't know what you meen by bangin but I will tell you this, if all he did was download a stage one map to the bike the AFR will still be as lean as the original map. You will need to adjust the AFR tables to richen it up from stock, honestly your best bet is to find a trustworthy shop and get them to propperly tune the bike. I've tried almost every cheap route and spent alot of $$ only to figure out that with the FI set up on these bikes the best route is to have them tuned using the proper equipment to monitor the AFR during the tuneing process. :s

You need to complete the Stage I upgrade with a free flowing air filter and get a proper tune. The map will never get things just right.

You're probably meaning popping thru exhaust. Heavy breather will just make it worse(free flowing air cleaner).Find another dealer to set your tuner up,sounds like the one you got is just guessing.Hogrotten hit the nail on the head.

Heavy breather will just make it worse(free flowing air cleaner).

If the tune isn't improved. Like I said, a map will never be right, particularly with those pipes. The K&N might be OK if it's the right filter; if not, the OP needs to finish the upgrade with a "free flowing air cleaner" and get a proper tune. He will have to get the bike tuned anyway, might as well tune it with the air filter upgrade. The Big Sucker is not necessary; the SE A/C will get the job done.

Back