free website stats program Slow Leak problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Slow Leak problem

HarryB737

One of my riding buddies has an Ultra Classic that has a cast rear wheel. Here's his problem: Rear wheel has a slow leak that leaks down to about 20lbs. He can reinflate & it will hold for a couple weeks then it's down again. The set-up is tubeless, & he wants to keep it that way if possible. He's check the tire, & stem carefully... & he said it did the same with the last tire he had on the bike. I'm thinking there maybe a small pinhole in the casting of the wheel. Here's my question... Is there any type of sealing agent that can be applied on the inside of the wheel (Not Slime), but applied with the tire off, maybe with a brush applicator (Thin coat) that will harden ?

One of my riding buddies has an Ultra Classic that has a cast rear wheel. Here's his problem: Rear wheel has a slow leak that leaks down to about 20lbs. He can reinflate & it will hold for a couple weeks then it's down again. The set-up is tubeless, & he wants to keep it that way if possible. He's check the tire, & stem carefully... & he said it did the same with the last tire he had on the bike. I'm thinking there maybe a small pinhole in the casting of the wheel. Here's my question... Is there any type of sealing agent that can be applied on the inside of the wheel (Not Slime), but applied with the tire off, maybe with a brush applicator (Thin coat) that will harden ?

You could try JB WEld if you can find the hole

Thanks Jack I was thinking more on the line of a varnish or shellac that would seep into the void & bond. I haven't heard of a specialized product for this, That is why I sent it out to my friends here.

Can he remove the rear wheel?

If so,why not remove it,inflate the tyre to maybe 45psi and dunk the tyre and rim portion of the wheel in a tub of water.Just deep enough to cover the inside of the rim.
If his casting is porous or if the valve stem is leaking,this'll pick it up.

Visuals are fine,but it must be an itty-bitty pinhole of some sort.:)

Thanks Jack I was thinking more on the line of a varnish or shellac that would seep into the void & bond. I haven't heard of a specialized product for this, That is why I sent it out to my friends here.

I like JB I have made fins for Harley heads with this stuff, once it cures you can grind or file it and its a permanent repair, I have also used it on exhaust manifolds :s

Thanks Biscuit, the tub idea is good, I had told him to check with soap bubbles with the tire on the bike, but he may have to resort to the tub idea.

Thanks Biscuit, the tub idea is good, I had told him to check with soap bubbles with the tire on the bike, but he may have to resort to the tub idea.

If that is too much hassle you can use a spray bottle with dish soap:s

Most likely place for a leak would be round the valve stem seal so replacing the valve stem should be the first i would try but wheel in a tub of water is the way to really tell where it is leaking

Brian

Why take it off the bike? If you have a tub big enough but the bike on a jack raise it up, put the tub under the tire, fill with water, lower the bike and rotate it untill you find the problem.

Back