free website stats program Slow acceleration | Harley Davidson Forums

Slow acceleration

lowrider1963

I have just over 600 miles on my 2010 FXDC and it feels like I do not have the smooth acceleration I did when I first picked it up, or as well as on my last bike, 2000 FXDL. It may be that my FXDL was 10 years old, broken in and most noticeably had a stage 1 kit on as well as being carbureted. I was just curious if this may be normal break in that can be adjusted by the dealer when I go in for my 1,000 check up. I am also going to have them put on a stage 1 kit (including air cleaner) when I take it if for maintenance.

Put some more miles on her and see how you like the FI:s

I noticed the brand & type of fuel I use makes a huge different in the way my bike performs. If I use Exxon, the bike runs like a lead sled. If I run BP Amoco or Mobil she runs much better. Add a shot of Sea-Foam or Staybil to the tank. Why I don't know but she runs better w/ those added.

Also since you have Ion Sense knock retard, you will not hear engine knock. The spark timing will just kick back. Therefore you can not judge octane requirements by listening for engine knock.. You will benefit from a higher octane.

Try a couple of tanks of Hi octane & better brand fuel w/ a touch of SeaFoam/staybil added.
Let us know.

I have just over 600 miles on my 2010 FXDC and it feels like I do not have the smooth acceleration I did when I first picked it up, or as well as on my last bike, 2000 FXDL. It may be that my FXDL was 10 years old, broken in and most noticeably had a stage 1 kit on as well as being carbureted. I was just curious if this may be normal break in that can be adjusted by the dealer when I go in for my 1,000 check up. I am also going to have them put on a stage 1 kit (including air cleaner) when I take it if for maintenance.

Here is MY story...
I came off a 100++HP and Tq... 2000 FXDS to a 09 Road King,,, It seamed really slow and probably similar to your feeling... and from what I was used to...
After about 1500 mile mark with the Full stage one It woke up a Bunch... I installed the TFI when I did the stage one(necessary as too Lean other wise)...
That is what Smoooooth mine out... TFI is a great Fueler for the bike.....

My preference OVER anything HD offers and a lot less money and can be tuned anytime and any where with a screwdriver But No Need to adjust after set up for YOUR bike Unless you modify it more like I'm doing shortly...

I found a full stage one to be the answer.. and it took about 1500 miles to break-in for the Feeling that it was...

I put on V&H exhaust slip-ons
Scrm' eagle air from HD
TFI and believe me the TFI made a BIG difference.... NO More LEAN Condition!

I have about 12,000 on it now and it got Better each time out after the 1500 mile mark.....

Love It!

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks Bubbie. I knew it was going to take time to break in and get the 'feel' for the new ride. I have read several posts about installing the TFI when going to stage 1, it sounds like it is a good buy. Hopefully the weather will hold up and I will be at 1500 miles soon...

I had about 7k before the bike felt like it was totally broken in. And at that point I was also getting my best fuel mileage. Give it some more time and things should get better.

Try a couple of tanks of Hi octane & better brand fuel w/ a touch of SeaFoam/staybil added.

Let us know.

Hoople,
I think You are on to it here in your last post.... I also run 92 octane and picky about Brands and un-known products and stations.

Smoooooth should not have "dropped" out the door like you said.

I would still think the full stage one with TFI will eliminate the problem on smoooooth...

My bike also "got better"Including fuel mileage, with each outing over 1500 miles. It "feels" better each time out....

Can't believe it is getting 42 on long two up outings. Not Lean at all!

signed....BUBBIE

I may read too deep into what/how a member describes a problem. But to me the bike ran better when it was new. Now 600 miles later it has lost some snap. My first question would be why because it really should be running BETTER than when it had 5 miles on it. At least to me it should.

Sometimes you get use to the new feeling of the bike and you can convince yourself it is not as good as it was when it was new. But it is really the same & your just looking for more & more.

Just Ride it like you stole it!

I may read too deep into what/how a member describes a problem. But to me the bike ran better when it was new. Now 600 miles later it has lost some snap. My first question would be why because it really should be running BETTER than when it had 5 miles on it. At least to me it should.

Sometimes you get use to the new feeling of the bike and you can convince yourself it is not as good as it was when it was new. But it is really the same & your just looking for more & more.

Just Ride it like you stole it!

Got to agree here I think we get used to a certain feel and then its all over, if in that much doubt have the local Stealers give it a test ride if you trust them, better yet test ride 1 just like yours at the Stealer and compare just a thought

Back