free website stats program Slip-ons | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Slip-ons

did you have to re-tune with the slip-ons? I would like a louder than stock sound but without actually trying them out, I cant find a anyone around here that runs slip-on's. A friend has true dual Reinharts and they sound great when you twist the throttle and not too loud while idle. I appreciate your reply. I know what you mean about having to hibernate your bike, we got 13 inches of rain in 9 days but at least we can get out a little inbetween storms. My wife and I did the Tail of the Dragon last weekend, had a blast. It's only an hour from our cabin and the rains held off just long enough to make the 11 mile run.

I just put on the Reinhart slip-ons, but can't do anymore than say they look nice yet. The streets have been covered with ice and snow for 7 weeks now.

They sound nice when you start it though!

I just did the same and have the same problem except I haven't even heard
mine yet. I hope they sound good

I agree with hearing before buying: also, it's probably important to hear the pipes when riding, as it all changes in motion with speed and where the listener's ear is (centered over the pipes is different).
DSC00178pbucket.jpg

I went with Rush Baloney-cut slip ons, AN air cleaner and the new Super Tuner. My 09 Seeg is a beast, all it needs is cams and a custom dyno map (where did I hide that damn checkbook??? where's that credit card???).
Truth is I've had a good number of Harleys, from 1970 on. This 09 is so much the best of all that I can't even describe it adequately. DON'T RIDE ONE!!

It's a warm and cloudy 17 degrees F here, with a light dusting of snow.
I did ride the other night for a couple of hours when it was a sweaty 24 degrees. I need electric gloves. I live on the Susquehanna, and it's going to freeze solid by this weekend, will be 6 degrees Friday night. Ugh.

biglew55 and others, I'm feeling your pain!
Can't wait for riding when the air just feels like a kiss! I should move to Florida with all the other nuts that rolled downhill.

Stay warm, 2 wheels down.

Bone

As was stated earlier, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I just wish we could test run them before we buy. I have the Samson ovals on my SG with stage 1 and KN filter. My son has Rhinehart true duals and they blast me away, but when I ride I want to be able to hear whats around me. Maybe us old farts don't hear as well, but why add more noise to the mix. Anyone have ideas on a good intake. I like the old school look but don't want to go crazy. Enjoy your 1st bike, I am sure it will not be your last.

I added the SE Race Tuner. If you can get up to the HD shop or another spot frequented by riders of baggers, you should be able to hear some. Don't buy until you hear somethng you like. I made this mistake several times before. Personally, I didn't think the stock pipes were bad sounding like the pre-'07 (I think that's when they changed them) mufflers, just a little quiet. Wait until you find the pipes you want and then do your stage 1.

Sad time of year isn't it:(

As was stated earlier, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I just wish we could test run them before we buy. I have the Samson ovals on my SG with stage 1 and KN filter. My son has Rhinehart true duals and they blast me away, but when I ride I want to be able to hear whats around me. Maybe us old farts don't hear as well, but why add more noise to the mix. Anyone have ideas on a good intake. I like the old school look but don't want to go crazy. Enjoy your 1st bike, I am sure it will not be your last.

I like the stock pipes so far. But I am use to hearing louder pipes and I like that but as I get older, I think loudness is not that important but I would to find the best bang for the buck way to get a little more torqe and power. I thought new pipes and the stage 1 would be better than doing something invasive right from the beginning.

I have to agree, I have been riding a 2000 Heritage and even though I have only been able to ride for 150 miles, this 09 FLHATC is unbelievable. My wife rides a VRSC and I think I have as good of handling as she does (she still can blow by me with just a twist). I had a bagger about 10 years ago and I only kept it for 3 months, traded it for a FXSTC. Just didnt like the fact that I could not feel the road or wind. But now, I am loving it. Especially the 180 rear tire and new frame set-up

I just got an '05 EG Classic that was totally stock. Put the V &H slip ons, Fuelpak and Arlen Ness Big Sucker AC; now runs and sounds great. The slip ons improve the sound and make me heard but are not so obnoxious that I need to worry about the neighbors at 5 a.m. or the cops for that matter, but if I need to make myself 'visible' to a spaced-out cager, a little roll of the throttle can be heard.

Bottom line; inexpensive, great sound and significant improvement in performance on my Bagger.

Back