free website stats program size question | Harley Davidson Forums

size question

Turk55

Got a dum question, getting ready to remove my warped rotors and my T40 torx seems loose, next size up T45 to big and next size down to small is to small, is their a size I dont have or what. :bigsmiley32:

Some torx kits are made with some of the more common sizes used on Harleys omitted like the #40 and the #27 and have to be bought separately.

Don't forget to heat the rotor bolts a bit with a torch because they have red locktite on them and are hard to remove without the heat.

I've also noticed the cheap Torx sets you can buy (like at Harbor Freight Tools) seem to be a bit sloppy compared to a good set like Craftsman, Snap-On, or Kobalt.

So the T40 right size but I should go get a good set and heat them first.

getting a good set of torx wrenches can only help you in the long run, and glider was referring to heating the torx bolts that hold the rotor on (great tip). this still doesn't completely answer the question of why the wrenches seemed sloppy on the bolts, unless it's just a perception.

I know the wrenches on torx bolts of my derby cover (for instance) fit in pretty snug....have you tried looking for a parts diagram on the web? last resort, I would wait until business hours tomorrow and give thier customer service rep a call to verify the correct bolt size.

I agree that cheaper brand Torx wrenches may fit sloppy, but the OP doesn't indicate a brand name. If you're going to do your own maintenance you have to invest in some quality basic tools.
That being said, one trick I use if the Torx or hex fits a little sloppy is to put a dab of valve grinding compound paste on the end before inserting. It will tighten things up just the right amount.

Back