free website stats program Shovelhead pushrod adjustment need help please. | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Shovelhead pushrod adjustment need help please.

All good info on the world of lifters, the ones in my engine are solid but have a soft spring under them , you can see them in most parts books and look like the ones shown by V -Twin part number 7132-12. When adjusting the spring compresses so its still not easy to be sure on the pressure to the rocker

All good info on the world of lifters, the ones in my engine are solid but have a soft spring under them , you can see them in most parts books and look like the ones shown by V -Twin part number 7132-12. When adjusting the spring compresses so its still not easy to be sure on the pressure to the rocker

Have seen this set up before, a little tricky to get right. Colony made a set up like this, I adjusted them like a Sportster for zero lash, a little noisey but it worked, Good Luck, Jack

M1marty has it right on the adjustment. This is how I did it back on my pan and shovel in the late 70's. It is a handfull to work 3 wrenches at the same time. Takes some practice and redoing to get it right. Not too noisy if you get it right. But I could feel the difference from the hydraulics. Enjoy it when you finish it will be great.

Much appreciate reinstalling all the wiring today going to set the pushrod adjustment on Saturday when I have my son to do the engine turning as my arms arent long enough and hold three spanners at the same time.

factory lifters were Hyd, not solid! If they are solids......pull your spark plugs out, get the rear wheel in the air , put the bike in gear, remove the P.Rod covers, and rotate the rear whell till ya see the lifters go all the way down....now before we go any further, did you have the pushrods out? Check to see if there all the same size! This is important!

If I recall there is 1 pushrod longer then the rest! This one goes to the frt exh only or the very 1st lifter in front ! Then do 1 at a time, lowest point on the cam....tighten the adjuster till you cant spin the pushrod...then back it off till you can just barly spin it! tighten the lock nut....check the pushrod again.....! I like doing my intakes 1st!

Also make sure you have good oil seal gaskets 3 per pushrod....2 small 1 large I have used both cork....and the Blue silicone ones with good results! Make sure the pushrod tube is seated good before install the upper clips! Good Luck!

Back