free website stats program shovel starter problem | Harley Davidson Forums

shovel starter problem

gary griffith

I have a 1984 FLHS and it is getting harder to start. The starter engages then stops engaging the engine and spins freely. This can go on for some time untill it engages long enough to spin the engine enough to start it. The solenoid clicks in and seems to operate OK, but can it be the problem? The problem is getting worse. The bike has 60K on it and never been messed with. (I have owned it since new). Any ideas?
Thanks, Gary

If thats the original starter you have gotten good life out of it. More than likely the starter is just getting tired and worn. If you hear the starter spinning but it is not engaging (not just clicking sounds) the solenoid is doing its job and the starter itself would be the problem.

I have a 1984 FLHS and it is getting harder to start. The starter engages then stops engaging the engine and spins freely. This can go on for some time untill it engages long enough to spin the engine enough to start it. The solenoid clicks in and seems to operate OK, but can it be the problem? The problem is getting worse. The bike has 60K on it and never been messed with. (I have owned it since new). Any ideas?
Thanks, Gary

M.E.S. Starters STARTER DRIVE GEAR from R V SPORTS INC check the drive:s

Back