free website stats program Shovel Oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Shovel Oil

ksboy

Account Removed
I was talking with a guy that owns a '67 shovel and he was surprised that I was able to check my oil w/ the dip stick from the tank w/o starting it first and pumping the oil up. What??? He said that the oil settles down and his oil tank is dry until he warms the motor. I'm pretty sure there's something going on with his bike. Does anybody happen to know? He said it's been like that since he's owned it, which has been several years. Thoughts?

For anyone that might be interested, here's some info I have found since posting this:

It's called " sumping " and it's the oil pump check ball leaking . The crankcase can fill up enough that the starter / kicker won't be able to turn the engine over ! Hydrolocked !
The " fix " is to get a couple new check balls , take the old one out and drop in a new one then the old one on top of it . Now take a brass punch that fits in the hole and tap on the top of the ( old ) check ball with a hammer . This tends to form a new seat for a new check ball . Now take both check balls out with a magnet and put in the other new check ball . This method USUALLY solves the problem .
You don't want to reuse the 2 check balls you were pounding on because they will most likely have flats on them from the pounding .

For anyone that might be interested, here's some info I have found since posting this:

It's called " sumping " and it's the oil pump check ball leaking . The crankcase can fill up enough that the starter / kicker won't be able to turn the engine over ! Hydrolocked !

Hydrolocked usually refers to a liquid, (gas, oil or water etc.) in the cylinder rather than the engine case.

Here' another fix for this...

Reseating Oil Pump Check Valve - Harley Davidson Community

Back