free website stats program Should I Trade my Tank? | Harley Davidson Forums

Should I Trade my Tank?

Maustarman

Hi there guys...
As some if you might remember I got a good deal over Xmas on a 06 sportster 1200C that came with a cool yet sort of graphic custom paint job.Nice flames in the sides and a xxx lady in the top part.
Now, even though the paint job is pretty cool & expensive it's not my style.
The paint job was done by *Airea 5150 out of Phoenix....it's supposed to be a 1500 bucks job just for the tank.
So, I'm planning to sand it down and repaint it to my like....but, I thought it was a shame just to sand it down so, I posted it in the local CL to see if someone was interested in it and trade it for an stock tank.

One of the options I've got is here for you guys to give me your opinion

My Tank
a6y6y2ah.jpg
qabeba3u.jpg

What I'm being offer for a trade
beqerunu.jpg

The part I'm not sure is how it would look in my 06

If I remember correctly the fenders etc. also have this paint scheme. Are you going to sand those down also and paint them? If not I would keep the tank to match the overall paint scheme. By the way, I'm not a flame guy either.

That looks like an older Mustang tank, are you getting any money too boot?

Since over in another post you said the paint was damaged. Maybe sand it and paint.

I wouldn't id go for a full trade espically if it matches. Or try and do a full trade. Sad to see a sweet custom job be erased.

Thank you guys...
*the fenders have just two lines in the same color but nothing else.
*the tank is definitively not made for this bike..they had to do some work to fit it.
(At the beginning I thought the tank was raised up for looks but the main reason is that the tunnel is to narrow for the backbone)
If I sand it down I'll come out with something different ...so far I'm debating in keep the same combination of colors black & Silver or to change that to black with a kandy oriental Blue

I guess I'll wait a week and see if someone comes out with an stock tank

That looks like an older Mustang tank, are you getting any money too boot?
Nope... I guess I've no idea what I have there so, I was just hopping for a stock trade

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is nothing wrong with the tank or paint, it would be a waste to sand it and repaint.
Buy a tank from eBay.
You could also sell it on eBay.
More lookers there compared to CL.

Waste of a good paint job to sand it down and repaint.
Are your skills worth $1500?

If there is nothing wrong with the tank or paint, it would be a waste to sand it and repaint.
Buy a tank from eBay.
You could also sell it on eBay.
More lookers there compared to CL.

Waste of a good paint job to sand it down and repaint.
Are your skills worth $1500?

The tank has some fuel fumes damage around the cap... Not much but bugs me.

About my skills ..... I've done a couple of paint jobs where I've charged 2K for the tank & fender set....
(I'm in the process of getting permits etc so I can try to start my own shop doing what I love... & solve the problem of being in this layoff limbo

If you're trying to prove your ability and start a business it makes sense to paint something really special for your own bike. If the flaming peanut doesn't fit your backbone sell it and buy something that fits. Paint something special because it will be a rolling business card for your business.

Trading your "pristine" & professionally painted tin for one in poor shape & requiring alterations to fit...pass. There are plenty of better options available.

Back