free website stats program Should I Change Oil? | Harley Davidson Forums

Should I Change Oil?

hd4evr

Banned
I'm gonna have less than 1500 miles on my oil change when I have to put my bike away for about 5 months. I run Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50. Do I need to change the oil before I put my bike in storage? It's only 1500 miles, and it's a $50 oil change!

I'm gonna have less than 1500 miles on my oil change when I have to put my bike away for about 5 months. I run Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50. Do I need to change the oil before I put my bike in storage? It's only 1500 miles, and it's a $50 oil change!

Not a bad Idea so the old oil with spent gas and deposits does not eat away at any vital parts :s

The oil should be changes at least once a year or 5,000 or more often if you like. Over maintenance will just extend the life on the engine and drive line. While at it using Hoople's method change out oil in primary and trans. Make sure to lube steering. This is the cheapest cost to owning a Harley.

Or you could do what I do, use Mobil 1 15W50 for the storage oil change. It's cheaper and then in the spring I'll run it for a month or so then change back to M1 V-twin for the hotter summer months.

I hope you're not using the chrome filter, Use the cheaper black filter for the storage.

Last edited:
Question, if you run synthetic in your bike and want to change the oil for storage, can you use standard grade to save $$?

smitty. If I change in winter and don't get to ride for 3-4 months (Cleveland's winters can be a harsh), will the oil break down?

Back