free website stats program Short Battery Life for Harley's? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Short Battery Life for Harley's?

I read an article some time ago that said that batteries that sit for long periods do something called sulfiding, and that keeping them on a computer controlled maintenance charger would help to prolong the life of the cells. I know you can get a bad anything now days, but I do keep both my bikes and both of my wife's trikes on maintenance chargers and get 4 to 5 years from the batteries.

I've kept track of all the receipts for "stuff" I've done to my 99' FLHR. The battery went south on me last summer and it lasted almost 6 years to the day. BTW I do keep a battery conditioner on it over the winter and keep the bike in the garage. Pretty good service from a battery I think.

I only get about 2.5 years out of my last battery. I gets ridden every day, no winter layup and Tender when gone away etc. Its just a battery and no big deal to me. Sure I would like it to last forever but.............

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated.

As I said earlier, my comparison is to all my previous metric bikes I've had over the years and 4-5 years per battery was the norm for me. However, those bikes never had alarm systems, and the batteries were the old plate/electrolyte type, so maybe the comparison is not exactly apples to apples. I wasn't counting the year it sat on the showroom floor either and it sounds like I should be taking that into consideration.

I was really floored by the price of a new HD battery though and really had to bite the bullet to replace it with an OEM (I did though). I'm still stewing about that! :nosad Thanks for the alternate suggestions.

I'll be keeping this bike for a very long time so we'll see how long this OEM battery holds out for.

My battery is stock, (2007) keep it on a tender during the winter months. This could be up to 5 months! I noticed last week when I pulled her out, every time I hit my pingle electric shift, it would lower the rpm's. Just tells me that after 6 years, I better get a new one!

BRIAN

I have a 2010 Road King Classic purchased new in 2011 (left over model on the sales floor).

Bone stock and runs like a Swiss watch. I've stored it at the dealer over the past 2 winters with a Battery Tender on it, and its plugged into the Battery Tender at home when I'm not riding.

Went out to ride on Sunday and it would start. Just a clicking sound, like when a starter goes bad on a car. Full lights, instrument lights, horn all worked fine with no dimming. It just kept "clicking" when I hit the start.

Dealer trouble shooted it and said the battery was done. Cold Cranking amps were way down (tested under load).

Anyway, after my long story here, all I'd like to know is did I just have a bad battery from the factory or is 2 years a normal life span for an HD battery? This is my first Harley, and I've only ever had imports with my battery's all lasting 4-5 years with no problems. If it matters, I was using the small Battery Tender Jr. trickle charger. The old battery seemed to be charging fine. After a ride I'd plug it in, red light on the charger for about 2-3 minutes, then it went to flashing green.

Only 2 years for a battery is pretty bogus if you ask me!

Just replaced my battery for the first time on my 07 Road King. I'm an avid believer of keeping my battery on a battery tender not a trickle charger at all times when not riding. You should get 4-5 years from your battery unless you let it deplete to zero charge. Battery.com, 400 CCA for 99.00!
WAP.gif

My last bike was a 2009 Suzuki m109 bought as a new leftover in July of 2010. Had same issue. Battery crapped out after 7 months. When I picked the bike up for initial delivery they had it in the back charging the battery.

My last bike was a 2009 Suzuki m109 bought as a new leftover in July of 2010. Had same issue. Battery crapped out after 7 months. When I picked the bike up for initial delivery they had it in the back charging the battery.

That would have been an excellent time to barter for a new battery.
Did it have an alarm on it? I think the alarm systems can be rough on a battery with the constant current draw....

Take care,
Dave

Replaced 2009 Ultra battery almost exactly at 4 year mark. Ran into same issue with the clicking sound. I keep on tender if not going to ride for a few weeks. Always on it during winter months. $150 at the dealer and I did install. Figure I'm good for another 4 years.

Back