free website stats program Shocked by plug wire... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Shocked by plug wire...

RWB,

Many things in reference to by gone days have changed with today's modern engines. Jumping a spark like you mentioned today & you may end up with serious electronic problems. Yesterdays engines were more hands on & do it... Today you have to think through what you are about to try & in some cases have proper diognostic equipment to boot. But I still enjoy doing as much as I can, just a little more cautious. :33:

RWB,

Many things in reference to by gone days have changed with today's modern engines. Jumping a spark like you mentioned today & you may end up with serious electronic problems. Yesterdays engines were more hands on & do it... Today you have to think through what you are about to try & in some cases have proper diognostic equipment to boot. But I still enjoy doing as much as I can, just a little more cautious. :33:

So true, no worries, my Uncle is retired and I don't have one of them pliers anymore. I do have an 'in-series' tester that I picked up at Harbor Freight that tests for spark without damage to components OR me :lolrolling

Well, I agree..."Electroshock diagnostics or therapy" is not exactly a safe method when servicing your bike. That passive HB neon light tester is fine, for what it tests for...(HV present).

Your "bare knuckles" approach to finding a bad ignition wire is the "stuff" of old timer war stories, not a healthy way, but it worked. :22:

what is this ion thing. i had a pair of dr neon tubes on my plug wires and it made my check engine light come on but never seemed to make the bike run any different

Back