free website stats program Shifting Points | Harley Davidson Forums

Shifting Points

Keith A Vetter

I just bought a 2010 road King Classic I was surprised there is not a tach. Just putting along what speeds (MPH) should I shift at and what are perhaps the cruising speeds for each gear?

If the bike doesn't easily-willingly accept throttle application and accelerate, you are in too high of a gear. If you can feel any jerking, at steady throttle, too high a gear. I prefer too many rpm's over lugging.

+1 on what Breeze3at said. you never want to lug (chug) the engine. You will know when the rpm are too high if it sounds tight.

This is what you can try and adjust shift point as needed.
Paying attention to the engines sound and feel start with 15 - 20 mph shift points, you don't want any chugging in the next gear up, you want to feel more of an easy continuation of acceleration.

Same thing on my 2013 RK,no tach none.But I've been riding for awhile,and don't look at a tach anyway.It'll be a second nature thing with you in no time.You'll feel when it's time to shift.And when you want to get on it,you'll run out those gears a little longer.004.JPG

No tach required; just don't "lug" the motor. Lugging these air cooled vtwin motors will kil them; big end of the crank bearings and the compensator take a beating. As a general rule, anything below 2000rpms, in any gear is considered "lugging". The exception would be 1st gear negotiaing a parking lot. Sixth gear at less than 60mph is a no-no; also lugging.

Breeze nailed it. Lugging is any gear/ rpm combination where the motor complains if asked to accelerate; time to down shift. These air cooled vtwin motors love to spin and are much "happier" at higher rpms than lower. Don't be afraid to spool them up and use your left foot. There is a rev limiter to keep you out of trouble. JMHO.;)

Thanks for the advice. The king cruises along fine in 3rd gear at 30 mph. Since my commute to work is through the neighborhood and I leave very early to work, the combination of my Vance & Hines and Rinehart's tend to like to set off all the car alarms. So instead of cruising at 30 in 3rd I tend to travel to work @ 35 mph and 4th gear. It doesn't seem to lug there and it is quiet enough not to set off the alarms. I asked the original question because I was wondering if 35 was too slow for 4th if just cruising. As long as I am cruising it doesn't seem to lug at that combination.

Need to keep the RPM's higher
Give some more space between the bike and the car with alarms, and when your a few blocks away from home close up that gap and set them off.
People need to wake up early or they won't hear the birds chip.

Back