free website stats program Shifting Noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Shifting Noise

90FXRS

Contributor
Working on a 2013 Street glide. It has roughly 51k miles. The clutch is new, Rivera Primo ProClutch, it has a Hayden tensioner as well. The gap on the tensioner shoe is suppose to 3/8", it is a light 5/16". When going from neutral to first, sometimes it's a click and sometimes it's a clunk. I thought the Hayden was a remedy for the clunk. Also the bike moves forward when ever so slightly when going into first. when it shifts through the gears there is a slight clank, clunk as well. The cable has been adjusted per the method in the self-help section on this site. The compensator is tight. Anyone have any advise?

The forward movement of the bike when put into gear indicates the clutch is dragging. Even with a correctly adjusted clutch, the oil between the plates causes "stickion", especially when cold. Some people use a lighter viscosity oil. Nothing I have ever read since Harley forums were invented, eliminates the "Clunk" entirely.

Try what Pete suggested, you may want to back off the friction point just a tad on the clutch adjustment as well.
You'll never completely eliminate the dreaded Harley clunk, I use Redline shock proof in the tranny and it seems to have made it much better.

Hold the clutch in for a few seconds when cold before selecting first as the cold thick oil takes a wee bit of time to be thrown off the clutch plates once engine warm and the oil more fluid then it will be thrown clear straight away

Brian

Try what Pete suggested, you may want to back off the friction point just a tad on the clutch adjustment as well.
You'll never completely eliminate the dreaded Harley clunk, I use Redline shock proof in the tranny and it seems to have made it much better.
As Jeff says the klunk is never eliminated but it is made better using Redline Shockproof

Back