free website stats program shifting issue... | Harley Davidson Forums

shifting issue...

Linnea71

I have a 90 sportster. I was shifting from first to second and the clutch handle froze in position. I was unable to downshift back into first. I thought it was a broken cable and I replaced that. The clutch handle has so much play even after adjusting the thread on cable and on the locking nut. Was told it may be the return spring. I'm new to this bike and just dont know what to do next. Any suggestion? I went to self help and I couldn't find an answer and not really sure the break down in the manual. Thanks.

Welcome from Minnesota, sounds like it could be the spring, someone with more knowledge will chime in soon to help you better.:wbs

Thanks Jeff. This is my first bike and I followed the book to replace the cable but wasn't the problem. I can follow the book at times but OMG, I'm a woman. I would like to think I can do things on my own but now its time to ask for help.

I would suspect that the clutch release mechanism may be stuck or jammed however the info i have on sportsters is from 1991 on however it may be similar on the earlier models there are 3 balls that sit in the mechanism and if they get out of place the whole lot will jam
you will need to remove the primary cover to get at the mechanism as it is on the 91 on the inside of the primary cover but some parts must be removed through the clutch access cover to allow the primary to be removed
Your book should give you the correct sequence of removal

Brian

Back