free website stats program Shifting Gears | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Shifting Gears

I don't have a tach. I do not pay much attention around town, I keep the rpms down, but never lugging. I do notice that by sound I shift into 4th and the speedo reads about 40 mph, same for 5th, about 50mph. 5th sounds good to me up to about 60+ mph and then I shift into 6th.
On the freeway, I run the rpms out while getting up to traffic speed. 5th gear and if traffic is heavy the engine sounds good and I'll hold 5th gear as the speeds go from 60 to 70.
I like these posts about the rpms at different speeds with 6 speed trannys. I have no idea what my rpms are at different speeds. I only remember hitting the rev limiter a few times in 3 years and I was running it out at the time. I came from a 5 spd and I use my ears.

Thanks Glider for the tables.
I did, however install a tach on my Sporty and I'm happier for it, it's nice to be able to see how fast your engine is turning.
I shift by feel and it usually seems to be at around 3000 RPM
That being said, what's the safe max RPM on a 1200 stock sporty?

That first chart is a chart even I can read. It tells me that my ears like to shift around town in the 2500-2600 range. I know I go higher in rpms when accerating to get up with the traffic on freeways. What I am surprised at is that I probably should shift into sixth at more like close to seventy and not 65.
Thanks

Back