free website stats program shifting and neutral problems | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

shifting and neutral problems

I would not worry too much about the wobble in the clutch shell, it is common. I think your problem is the clutch is not disengaging completely, it is dragging and making it difficult to get into 1st gear. Make sure the clutch is adjusted properly.

Hi,

Temporary I have to repair it eg pushing new bearing on spectial stick for placing bearing,
then center it in lathe due here in poland parts are 4 times more expensive that in US, and I have to wait for package with new shell from US about 3 weeks.

Clutch was not disengaging completly for this reason. I think damage was done, becouse some time ago, as I bought this bike, primary chain was very, very tight.

I installed covered bearing (oryginal installed was open), as i've seen currently they are selling covered bearings.

Greetings
Pawel.

Hi,

Now I puted all parts together, still not running correctly, so trying more. And what I found
that clutch is working correctly when i turned in regulation screw 2 turns in.

so final conclusion is that hydraulic clutch is not pushing out enough diphgram spring *sigh*. I have 11/16 more in hand, but maybe slave cylinder is too big. What I'll do now
is to make slave cylinder a little bit smaller. I have to calculate how much smaller it should be to push out clutch about 1mm.

Greetings
Pawel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the same problem. My mechanic is suggesting the plates my be burnt, but he has not yet torn it down to confirm it. Be curious to how you solve your issue.

hjt

Hi,

I have new plates, new bearing and so on.
I checked, clutch is pushed out max 2mm, working good if it's pushed 3mm, so I calculated
to increase push from 2 to 3 mm i have to change slave cylinder diameter from 39mm to 30 mm. I'm gonna try it today, I checked all things, seems this can be final - slave cylinder size mismatch.

I don't know what usually should be slave cylinder diameter for 11/16 master bore.

i was checking it with open derby hole, seeing all what happening there.

Greetings
Pawel.

Last edited:
Hi,

It works!!! we placed sleeve in clutch acutator and into smaller piston - oryginal was 1.5", now is 1.2" and clutch is pulled out 2mm (instead of oryginal 1mm) and now neutral goes as never was, and also now i even don;t hear when gears are changed, like in the car!.

only disadvantage is that clutch lever works little harder, but... no matter.

Hope this can help others!

Greetings
Pawel.

Hi again,

I did one more thing to improve clutch operation.
1 - I removed damper spring what makes about 0,5mm more freeplay for plates (for eg rivera clutches doesn't have them)
2- I added spring between transtision mainshaft and plate with adjust screw. it did relasing clutch mutch easier - like before piston change. It's importand that this spring has to be set correctly, too hard will cause clutch to slip, to lite will not help much. I did 3 test riding to set correct spring. Clutch is not slipping, it's perfectly diengaging, i can find neutral even with 650 rpm, and now i'm not hearing any clicks or clunks when gear change, even on stop from neutral to 1-st gear. I think new harleys are not working so good.

Greetings
Pawel.

Neutral finding - continue

Hi,

continuing this tread:

shifting and neutral problems - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Community

After some time it stopped working again.

Now I have all clutch new with barnett plates, adjusted perfect, all as should be, with clutch pulled i can easy turn clutch, when it's running, I caneasy stop it on neutral when clutch pulled with some tool.

It works like others, with little rev or bike move no problem, with engine off too.

Same problem on bidog sic!.

I thought it's problem of wet clutch dragging a little but now...

Now i got 2003 Road King for service - there's stock HD clutch, dragging looot more than bigdog and my heritage, but click neutral is a piece of cake..
In this TC it;s so dragging, that with eng off and pulled clutch i can't turn clutch hub!

so my new idea is, that EVO style tranny has something to do with it,

any ideas?

Back