free website stats program Shifter Slack | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Shifter Slack

You have to use a Dremel tool with cutoff wheels and cut from under the primary. You cut opposite of the split where the pinch bolt goes through. Its got to be cut at least 1/2 way around the circumference of the shift shaft. You end up cutting the bottom of the old shift lever off and then just remove the rest.
I have never done it but there is a video on his site. I think its easier to pull the primary IMO.

Cutting it with a wheel is the procedure they recommend. I agree that just removing the primary is easier. But going back on with one of these simplifies things in the future if it happens again!!

TQ

Cutting it with a wheel is the procedure they recommend. I agree that just removing the primary is easier. But going back on with one of these simplifies things in the future if it happens again!!

TQ

Good point TQ. It would be easier next time for sure.
This new one being made of stainless steel would lead me to believe that if there were a next time, it will require going into the transmission. If it strips again, certainly the softer metal will be the shift shaft and not the stainless shift lever. Time will tell I guess. Somebody will show up here with the splines completely ground off the shift shaft.

You have to use a Dremel tool with cutoff wheels and cut from under the primary. You cut opposite of the split where the pinch bolt goes through. Its got to be cut at least 1/2 way around the circumference of the shift shaft. You end up cutting the bottom of the old shift lever off and then just remove the rest.
I have never done it but there is a video on his site. I think its easier to pull the primary IMO.

I'm inclined to agree.

Back