free website stats program Service manual Type-O ? Alignment | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Service manual Type-O ? Alignment

A very good thread there Hoop...I knew the Dyna type frame was unique, thinking about it verses other designs. Those "missing" shocks and the hard tail look is beautiful to behold. It is kind of like the single disc in front of most HDs, it is a real pain to clean and service those nice shiny spokes when both sides are covered by discs...which necessitates a bigger single disc rotor, but gives the big ol' bike look at the sacrafice of a little less braking, but still less expensive than two. HD riders and enthusiasts are pretty picky lot...and HD marketing does "aim to please"...

NewHD, I agree with everything you say. I have to learn to be more careful because what applies to my bike, may ONLY apply to my bike. Every year and model is indeed different.

Take a look of these stabilizers and tell me what you think. I know they are Pricey...no doubt. But if they stiffen up the frame from wobble in turns it could save a life.

It looks to me like a great idea.... but I am new at this game.
True-Track, Inc.

NewHD, I agree with everything you say. I have to learn to be more careful because what applies to my bike, may ONLY apply to my bike. Every year and model is indeed different.

Take a look of these stabilizers and tell me what you think. I know they are Pricey...no doubt. But if they stiffen up the frame from wobble in turns it could save a life.

It looks to me like a great idea.... but I am new at this game.
True-Track, Inc.

Hoop,

I did the Trackula Touring on my '03 UC. Excellent results. Of course I replaced the front motor mount, the swingarm isolators, bushings and pivot shaft as well as adding the True Track to the rear of the engine/tranny. This has completely stabilized the ride.

But it is way more tricky on my Dyna. Mine is a '91, and the ONLY stabalizer is on the top of the engine. Not sure if they have done more to help with stability on the new models. But there is NO stabalizer at the front of my engine, or the back. When I rebuild the bike this time, I am DEFINITELY putting on 3-point stabalization!!

TQ

Hoop,

But it is way more tricky on my Dyna. Mine is a '91, and the ONLY stabalizer is on the top of the engine. Not sure if they have done more to help with stability on the new models. But there is NO stabalizer at the front of my engine, or the back. When I rebuild the bike this time, I am DEFINITELY putting on 3-point stabalization!!

TQ

TQ, there is nothing more than the 1 stabilizer on top of my '09 Dyna so nothing seems to have been added over the years. The True-Track kit for my bike will add 1 stabilizer in the front next to the regulator and 1 in the rear next to the tranny.
I have not experienced any wobble and the bike tracks true but I am going to spring for the kit anyway. It looks like a well designed kit and I just can't resist black anodized Billet parts. :p

TQ, there is nothing more than the 1 stabilizer on top of my '09 Dyna so nothing seems to have been added over the years. The True-Track kit for my bike will add 1 stabilizer in the front next to the regulator and 1 in the rear next to the tranny.
I have not experienced any wobble and the bike tracks true but I am going to spring for the kit anyway. It looks like a well designed kit and I just can't resist black anodized Billet parts. :p

I'm with ya! My plan as well. Will probably do the swingarm bushings, isolators and pivot shaft too. Their bronze bushing is stout!

TQ

Would not be the first of many mistakes in a service manual, H D had the end play spec on Shovelhead motors wrong and it cost a lot of novice builders worn cones and screeching cam noise

Darjohn, welcome to the HDTimeline forum and your first post. Being as your ride is under warranty you probably should take advantage of this to be sure; but do get the Service Manual for your new Dyna Glide and look at Bubbie' post #9 above in conjunction should help you know and understand what to expect.

I have an 09 Dyna and the rear seems to track to the right. What can I adjust to fix this?

As NewHD suggests, if you have a good dealer and you trust him, let them take a look. If not, or if your a 'Hands On' type of person, the absolute 1st thing to do is to get the rear axle perfectly true to the rear fork. On our bikes it is tricky because of the hollow rear axle. But we do have the 1/8" pre-drilled factory holes in the rear fork that help. I made a tool that cuts the alignment job to size fast. It is a "Must Have" in my book. If interested I can post a picture w/ dimensions.
It will cost $50-60 to make but for me was well worth it. Half the price of the #950 Jim's plug set and works even better. If you look at the geometry, you will see that a very small amount of axle shift makes a huge difference in wheel tracking. Once that adjustment is perfect, the twist relationship of the two rims is next using the stabilizer link. The light tubes work very well for that.

Went out this past Saturday for a 180 mile ride and this bike tracks like an arrow on rails. And the 3 link kit I ordered is still in the mail. Can't wait to see what it's like after I install that.

One other last thing. I know the hate mail will soon follow but when I took off those Factory Dunlops and installed a set of Metzelers, the difference was Night to Day. Just hope they remain this way to the end of tread life. That remains to be seen.
The $$ you can spend on these toys is incredible. :p:p

Hoop; Unless the newer Dyna rear fork alignment is different, I made the alignment tool for nothing. I cut a coat hanger(straight part) and put a 90 degree bend in one end to fit the hole in swingarm. I cinched a small tie wrap around it and cut flush. I use the tie wrap as a slider, and the eye part to center the axle.
I'm glad you got your bike tracking true, and hope the tru track helps too.

Back