free website stats program service at non hd shop | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

service at non hd shop

Whacko, I did my 10k service on my deuce, you can read about it here.

I Did My 10K Service - Harley Davidson Community

I'm no mechanic by any means, but I can do simple things, and if I feel comfortable with it, I will do things on the bike. It has made me a much better rider since I understand the bike a bit better. :s

We do have an indy shop that we are happy with that we use for the projects that I'm not comfortable taking on myself. I let the indy do the tires, but for my general services, I'm happy tinkering on them myself. I do take my time, take lots of pictures of before, during, & after, (I have had to resort to my pictures on more than one occasion to get something back together), & I keep the computer handy in case I need to search for something on the forum. :s

Taking pictures in order is one of the best and easiest ways to learn how to IMO:s

I always take the wheels off myself and drop off the wheels/tires with my dealer. Would think you'd have a buddy wit ha garage and could pull the wheels off yourself...SAVE A LOAD of $$$$
Breaking the bead is too much a (Edit); I am getting old and lazy.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
If you use a g clamp and a lump of wood across the back side of the wheel breaking the bead is easy
fin_676-albums-tyre+changing-picture4578-100_0159_medium.jpg

Brian

OK so here it is.....I just called the HD dealer to get a price on the 10k service.....a whopping $441. I asked the rep what is the difference between the 5k and the 10k because the 5k only cost me $198. He put me on hold for about 5 minutes and came back with...."we check all of your "critical components" and check the neck bearing where your 5k was just a service. Really......and extra $240 for that? How many critical components are in an air cooled bike? And I have to add that I brought mine in with about 1200 miles on it because the neck bearing was loose and they performed the fall away test and adjusted it in 30 minutes while I waited.

SOOOOO.....called the indy metric shop and he quoted me $230 to:

change all oil
adjust (not just inspect cuz I asked) drive belt
lube and adjust (not just inspect cuz I asked) all cables
inspect bearings
inspect breaks

A savings of $340 for tires and service at the indy shop

At least the guy ran down the list of what they are actually performing! Can anyone think of anything not on the list at the metric indy shop that would cause me a problem?

I highlighted the part about the neck bearing since I am dealing with that right now.

I thought the wobble in my front wheel between 30 and 38 MPH was due to an unbalanced front tire, but the service guy at the dealer swears that it is a classic symptom of the neck bearing needing adjustment.

I have the extended warranty, and the adjustment is not covered. According to HD this is similar to an alignment on a car. so just part of normal maintenance. Their charge for the adjustment is $125, so that is a lot of your increased price right there.

I have not had time to dig into the service manual to see if this is something I can take on myself, or if it requires special tools outside of a torque wrench and other "special" but standard tools.

Wow. I brought mine in with 1200 miles on it for a neck bearing adjustment because it started to clunk when hitting the front break. The dealership did it for free while I waited. took about 45 minutes and it has been fine since......almost 12k on the bike now.

Here is my update on the indy shop for service. Final price out the door was $746 for K591s mounted and balanced and the 10K service. I brought my owners manual with me when I dropped it off and they photocopied all of the items required for the 10k and my receipt notes every item is complete so I will be good for waranty. Only thing I can note on the negative side is that my bike was sitting outside in the rain when I went to pick it up......at the dealership they have a covered parking spot for bikes waiting pickup. Yeah I had to ride home in the rain....wet forecast for the next 3 days and I just needed to go get it....no biggie. The only other negative is that I do smell some burning oil once the bike hit temp.....a 12 mile ride home on back roads. I assume they did not clean up any drips of oil....at the dealership I have not noticed the burning oil smell when I pick up from service. Looked the bike over well and don't see any drips or leaks....I'll keep an eye on it. So a little dripped oil and a wet seat when I picked it up.....I think a small price to pay to save $500!

I'm sure it's just some oil that they missed after changing the filter. Just check for oil spots on the ground when parked.

Here is my update on the indy shop for service. Final price out the door was $746 for K591s mounted and balanced and the 10K service. I brought my owners manual with me when I dropped it off and they photocopied all of the items required for the 10k and my receipt notes every item is complete so I will be good for waranty. Only thing I can note on the negative side is that my bike was sitting outside in the rain when I went to pick it up......at the dealership they have a covered parking spot for bikes waiting pickup. Yeah I had to ride home in the rain....wet forecast for the next 3 days and I just needed to go get it....no biggie. The only other negative is that I do smell some burning oil once the bike hit temp.....a 12 mile ride home on back roads. I assume they did not clean up any drips of oil....at the dealership I have not noticed the burning oil smell when I pick up from service. Looked the bike over well and don't see any drips or leaks....I'll keep an eye on it. So a little dripped oil and a wet seat when I picked it up.....I think a small price to pay to save $500!

A very small price to pay for that kind of savings! We have to wash our bikes anyway eventually so water droplets are no biggie. :)
I mentioned to you in the past Whacko that I live in Ma. also. Did I remember correctly that you had said that you live in Leominster? If that is correct, what is the name of the Indy? Heck, I might take a ride up there myself to save a whopping $500.00! Thanks.

A very small price to pay for that kind of savings! We have to wash our bikes anyway eventually so water droplets are no biggie. :)
I mentioned to you in the past Whacko that I live in Ma. also. Did I remember correctly that you had said that you live in Leominster? If that is correct, what is the name of the Indy? Heck, I might take a ride up there myself to save a whopping $500.00! Thanks.

I live in the Merrimack Valley....northeast corner of the state. The indy is Plaistow Powersports. I would recommend them. They deal quite a bit in pre owned Harleys but are primarily a yamaha dealership. I talked with the service manager before deciding to go with them and he is the one that recommended I bring in the owners manual with the 10k service points listing so he could include every item on my invoice for warranty purposes. They treated me very well.

Back