free website stats program Security Key shows in gauge cluster | Harley Davidson Forums

Security Key shows in gauge cluster

Swahealy

A red security key appears shortly after I start the bike up (2-3) seconds. Everything seems to be fine with the bike. Why the light and how do I get rid of it? New to this forum. It is a 2002 Deuce with a security system. The red key never showed up the first few years. Only have 3,500 miles on bike.

Do you have a key fob for the security system? If you do, does it have a button or no button. The red "key" light is telling you that the security system is operational. The fact that it goes out after you start it up means that the security system is disarmed.

What have you changed in the electrical system of the bike? Did you add any LED lights?
Have you checked for Trouble Codes?
Do you have a shop manual for the bike? If so, then look in the sections that address the security system and ECM trouble code section.
If you don't have a manual, do a search here on the forum and you should be able to find information on these systems.

What have you changed in the electrical system of the bike? Did you add any LED lights?
Have you checked for Trouble Codes?
Do you have a shop manual for the bike? If so, then look in the sections that address the security system and ECM trouble code section.

If you don't have a manual, do a search here on the forum and you should be able to find information on these systems.
The key light staying on could mean you have a current fault code in your tssm, I'd put my money on gs34's advice.
Oh and welcome to the forum...:D

Hi, Im new to this site so bear with me. My 2008 Nightster is showing similar problems. Never had alarm/immobiliser activated from purchase. Left for weeks/months at a time and it started every time i used it until recently. Never seen 'red key light' before until it failed to start, went to local dealer - battery dead, replaced battery, week later - same again. Went in for repair and was told it was a 'dodgy' fuse. Picked it up to be confronted with 'red key light' on leaving standing. Dealership couldnt give a real reason why. Had it coming on every now and again on starting and stopping (not consistently), now dont always get 'orange engine light' on first ignition and it doesnt always prime the engine which you can always hear. Does start but struggles.

Local dealership are really not helpful and dont care as long as it starts...any ideas??? PLEASE?

HI Brooksy, welcome to the forum
Unfortunately electrical problems can be a real pain to nail, but the diagnostic codes in Gliders post will narrow it down, I had my red key light come on when riding, following the instructions that Glider has put up I was able to narrow it down to a faulty TSSM (Turn Signal Security Module) my dealer ordered me a new one under warranty as they did not have one in stock, long story short I convinced them to pull a TSSM from an 883 and swapped mine out, low and behold it wasn't the TSSM...:nosad
If I switched off the ignition and switched it on again it cleared the code and everything was fine again, the HD tech was left scratching his head as my turn signals would also pack up pointing to a faulty TSSM aswell.
We pulled the seat off and started to work our way along the bikes harness and didn't have to look too far as directly under the seat the left turn signal wire had been pinched between the bike frame and seat causing a short, we cut the damaged piece out crimped the wire back together and relocated it alongside the framework job done...:D
Untill you look to see if you have any trouble codes 09-08-07 DTC Codes - Harley Davidson Community this is realy like looking for the preverbeal needle in the haystack.
However dead batterys and 07/08 sportsters have had issues, read the below thread to see if this throws any light on your current problem.
XL883C Odd Noise - Harley Davidson Community
I know it's frustrating but you will be up and running again...:Banane09:

Good Advice. My 09 Ultra displayed the FOB Key while riding. During this time the Nutural Light stayed on even though the 6th gear light was on. (Bad Nutural Sensor. Got water in it from a wash job). Cleared the codes B1155 and all is well.

Back