free website stats program Securing bike on lift | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Securing bike on lift

The jack has securing points on the base. Once you get it to the height you strap it down if you use the straps.

never have tied a Harley down on the jack. but all the crotch rockets and triumphs i have put on get tied down. but those i have to block up to clear exhaust and do not sit very stable on the jack.
Brian

I do not secure the bike on my jack i often only lift the bike till it is upright with the wheels on the floor
if i am removing a wheel ill get the wheel free then lift the bike up and away from the wheel roll the wheel away and drop the bike back to normal level

Brian

Thanks guys ( gals?). We seem to be somewhat split on fastening the bike down. I was just curious. I guess we all do what we feel comfortable with.
I should have specified that I meant the hydraulic lift.

I've read too many posts relating people who haven't strapped their bike down, and it fell off. I don't want to add one of my own to that list. It only takes a minute (literally) to do it. I'd feel pretty ridiculous if the one time I didn't strap it, it fell on me.

Sort of like buying the same number on your lottery ticket every week. The one time you use a different number, guess which number wins. :swoon

IMG_0029.jpg

Like Gator & DeuceDog and Smitty you only have to have the bike drop once to make you a believer. There have been several posts of bikes falling off the lift, or onces used to store the bike away and being inadvertently "pushed over" when moving around stuff in the garage.

Always. Just a habit now. I figure if I use straps and it still falls over (somehow), I won't have to hear, "If you would have used straps, this wouldn't have happened..." Again, the bike seems very stable to me without straps, but it was the thought of trying fix the dropped bike before my wife noticed/found out what I did...the eye rolling, the "look"..... If I am getting in trouble for doing something stupid, it's going to be better than not using straps....and it should involve fire or some type of projectile....:D
(I have the cheap Harbor Freight lift, but I replaced the bolts with grade 8.)

Back