free website stats program seat availability? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

seat availability?

Some folks will just unstaple the vinyl cover and cut bout 3/4" off their current foam. They get some of the foam that goes under carpet, forgot what they call it, but alot ot seat folks use it for a top soft layer.

You can cut the foam down with a electric carving knife if you have a steady hand. I recently modified my Kawa seat a bit. I cut some of it with a carving knife but when I got into the curved saddle part, I used a 4" grinder with a masonry or steel carborundum blade. You can also used a pnematic disc sander to remove foam.

It's the speed that is needed. If you try to sand it with a slower drill motor it will tend to tear and rip the foam. The higher speed cleanes it off nicely. Both the carving knife and the grinder can be used to trim and shape the new replacement foam.

Oh BTW you need a can of 3M 77 spray adhesive to glue the new foam to the old. Just spray both old and new and then carefully press them together. It sticks right away but takes awhile to sit strong.

When you pull your old vinyl off if it's glued, you can remove it without ripping the foam with a small steamer and some patience. To put the vinyl back on you will need a air stapler and some 1/4" long staples. I bought one for $50 online, I already had a compressor. A hand stapler will not usually drive them in enough.

Or if you have plenty of money just buy a Mustang Seat.

Last edited:
Some folks will just unstaple the vinyl cover and cut bout 3/4" off their current foam. They get some of the foam that goes under carpet, forgot what they call it, but alot ot seat folks use it for a top soft layer.

You can cut the foam down with a electric carving knife if you have a steady hand. I recently modified my Kawa seat a bit. I cut some of it with a carving knife but when I got into the curved saddle part, I used a 4" grinder with a masonry or steel carborundum blade. You can also used a pnematic disc sander to remove foam.

It's the speed that is needed. If you try to sand it with a slower drill motor it will tend to tear and rip the foam. The higher speed cleanes it off nicely. Both the carving knife and the grinder can be used to trim and shape the new replacement foam.

Oh BTW you need a can of 3M 77 spray adhesive to glue the new foam to the old. Just spray both old and new and then carefully press them together. It sticks right away but takes awhile to sit strong.

When you pull your old vinyl off if it's glued, you can remove it without ripping the foam with a small steamer and some patience. To put the vinyl back on you will need a air stapler and some 1/4" long staples. I bought one for $50 online, I already had a compressor. A hand stapler will not usually drive them in enough.

Or if you have plenty of money just buy a Mustang Seat.

freeze it first. You can grind or sand any foam that is frozen no matter what. but you have to work fast because the foam thaws out fast.

Back