free website stats program Se255 cams need opinions/advise | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Se255 cams need opinions/advise

Originally Posted by BUBBIE View Post

Yes the SE 255's WILL give Torque. BUT I would go another direction using the SE 204 cams

The above answered,,,,and I KNOW I'm SPOT ON with MY answers here......

CAMS:

Because of your LIGHTER bike, Different riding styles on it.. I would NOT use the SE 255's,,,Only on a Heavy Touring bike.....

THE SE 204's are a much better cam for that Lighter bike as you (I) will ride that bike Different than the Touring...

Running LEAN and Decell popping :

YES you are Running LEAN ,, even with the HD download... EPA... TOO Lean and Need a TFI or a Gen 3 to make it run properly with the fuel needed...

On your 09, HD Shuts the Fuel Off when you leave OFF the throttle and that is the ONLY reason You don't Hear a pop... YES you ARE lean....

On the Cams,,, Use SE 204's for your style of bike/ride will make you Happier than the BIG lift Cams that the SE 255's have (.550) lift as compared to the SE 204's at (.508) lift...

I don't believe the cams are harder on the engine then the stock one..... the stock cam has a lift of .484 and the SE 204 of .508 and a wopper lift of .550 on the Se 255's.. (all 3 are Bolt ins)

The Thing that makes ME want the 204 cams in your bike is the Close of the intake valve being @ 34* and the stock at 30* and the 255's @25*....
Your bike being lighter and ridden differently than the Big Hogs... They Need to have the RPM range UP where You (I) would run that motor... So the 204's Hit a better Spot than the 255's do.....

I have talked with Many who have used the SE 204 in their bikes and HAPPY is what it IS...

The Only reason I went with the SE 255''s IS 09 FLHR IS A BIG HOG and I would NOT do the 255's in a Lighter bike.....

I had a Dyna and would Not of been happy with the Big Bikes Cam durations as compared to the SE 204's.... I think YOU also fit My style of riding... I don't Hot Rod BUT when I do twist the throttle on my lighter bike I want it to GO....

The SE 255's Peter Out a little Early on the RPM range for the lighter style bike and Ride.(better on a Big Heavy bike)

These cams (both) work Great in a 96" bike with out compression reliefs...

With all you have done to your bike , ADDING the SE 204 cams ALONG With a TFI or a Gen3 is a MUST......

Then your ride is Worth The Bucks....

signed....BUBBIE
+1. My riding buddy has a 02 Road King that came w/88 motor. Piston ring came apart on him and he punched it out to a 95. He had already done the SE204 cams and during the re-tune ecm calibration, they upped his redline to 6200 rpm's. Point of my story is that these cams behave like stock cams til about 2500 rpm's, then they run like a scalded dog. My 103 (pre SE255 cams) had the stage 1 already...Rhinehart true duels, Power comm 3, and K&N air filter. and would kinda be pretty close to his till about 4500 rpm's, then he would walk away from me like I wasn't there.

204's are VERY good for the 95/96 motors. IMO. Tracy

I'll second the SE 204 for your 96in Night Train. A cam upgrade is some of the best money you can spend. It will bring the most power $ for $ of any upgrade that you do.

Last edited by a moderator:
JMO When you change cams, the longevity of the engine will be reduced a bit because of the additional stress put on the valve train etc. I would prefer in most instances to just go to more displacement if it is more power you want.
I'm a firm believer in not opening up an engine after it leaves the factory. Too many times guys do a modification to their bike and something else goes south after the modification.
It's like a chain, it's only as strong as the weakest link.

I have to agree with Glider, if it not broke don't fix it, a 09 night train is a lot of engine on a light bike and sounds like you already have the biggest bang for your buck with the stage 1, if you had to open the cam compartment for something else or really have the need for speed the the 204's would be a good choice.

Back