free website stats program SE hydraulic cam tensioners | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

SE hydraulic cam tensioners

Ive run many of the hydraulic upgrade kits and on my personal bike too. After 35k miles on my dyna i noticed a whirling sound from the cam area. After pulling it apart the read cam chain had failed (links kinked and stiff) and wore the rear tensioner about 50%. I never changed the rear chain when i installed the kit as the instructions dont tell you to. As some insurance i would replace the rear chain when installing this kit. 25607-99 $85.00.
I always wondered how the old silent chain would last on the new tensioner. seems to hold up well. A lot longer than the old spring loaded tensioners.

That's very interesting. I have also wondered about this set up where you keep the rear silent chain. It looks like the conversion cam set up may be the better way to go.

Ive run many of the hydraulic upgrade kits and on my personal bike too. After 35k miles on my dyna i noticed a whirling sound from the cam area. After pulling it apart the read cam chain had failed (links kinked and stiff) and wore the rear tensioner about 50%. I never changed the rear chain when i installed the kit as the instructions dont tell you to. As some insurance i would replace the rear chain when installing this kit. 25607-99 $85.00.
I always wondered how the old silent chain would last on the new tensioner. seems to hold up well. A lot longer than the old spring loaded tensioners.

i thought the SE hybrib hydralic tesonier set came with both chains and both of them roller?

Bob Woods also has a conversion kit that uses both roller chains and all harley parts besides the cams. Lots of different cam choises too.

HERKO kit how much???? i don't need any tools to install.....please read my off topic post for more Details on why i need no tools

HERKO kit how much???? i don't need any tools to install.....please read my off topic post for more Details on why i need no tools

Check out my white paper in the link I provided above. At the time I bought mine, Herko's kit was $449. You will need cams too, so that will add to the total cost. If you do not need tools to change out the inner roller bearings because you can borrow the tools from some one, great. But change those out!! Here is all the stuff I bought:

Parts TQ used for conversion project

TQ

Back