free website stats program SE heavy breather vs filter | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

SE heavy breather vs filter

Hey harley, let me chime back in with my opinion, when asked for it, I give it freely, not as fact or the only way. When I build a custom fuel map it is not much, if any different from Harley's on the lower throttle settings, it maintains stock like fuel mileage, where I pump up the fuel to it is at WOT and a little extra above 3,000 rpm, that is where the extra fuel is appreciated by the engine. Fuelers are fine I would never use the word excellent, but it is a alternative. I had a bike come in last summer that a aftermarket shop installed a fueller on and it was heating up to the point the engine management system was trying to cut the engine out to save it self. that was not warrantable, installed a sest (just installed the factory built map) and customer is still happy and so is his bike. My opinion is Harley's maps are on the lean side but not ''too'' lean or stock bikes would be dropping right & left. Would you install a fueler on a stock bike? Do you need to? The stage 1 download is no different, while it might be a touch on the lean with all mods in line with what Harley built the map for it would be my personal choice. Injector wires are very thin and moving them around too much could possibly cause one to break inside the plastic housing making a simple problem hard to find. When you increase the fuel using a fueler it is flat across the board not just were it's needed, there's just not enough adjustment there for me. Though it can be customized to a individual needs that depends on who's doing the adjusting and what the needs are, it's pretty generic. I do know TFI's are very popular on this forum and it's great because if anyone has questions, someone here been down that road. I just like to explore all the alternatives openly, If fuelers work for you that's great, but the thing I like most about this forum is hearing everyones opinions (why they think there's is best) and that gives me the tool's I need to work with, to make the right decisions for me.

I enjoy playing with anything on a harley Steve, but it's hard to beat tuning a bike with a key board, my hands never get dirty:newsmile011:

Hey harley, let me chime back in with my opinion, when asked for it, I give it freely, not as fact or the only way. When I build a custom fuel map it is not much, if any different from Harley's on the lower throttle settings, it maintains stock like fuel mileage, where I pump up the fuel to it is at WOT and a little extra above 3,000 rpm, that is where the extra fuel is appreciated by the engine. Fuelers are fine I would never use the word excellent, but it is a alternative. I had a bike come in last summer that a aftermarket shop installed a fueller on and it was heating up to the point the engine management system was trying to cut the engine out to save it self. that was not warrantable, installed a sest (just installed the factory built map) and customer is still happy and so is his bike. My opinion is Harley's maps are on the lean side but not ''too'' lean or stock bikes would be dropping right & left. Would you install a fueler on a stock bike? Do you need to? The stage 1 download is no different, while it might be a touch on the lean with all mods in line with what Harley built the map for it would be my personal choice. Injector wires are very thin and moving them around too much could possibly cause one to break inside the plastic housing making a simple problem hard to find. When you increase the fuel using a fueler it is flat across the board not just were it's needed, there's just not enough adjustment there for me. Though it can be customized to a individual needs that depends on who's doing the adjusting and what the needs are, it's pretty generic. I do know TFI's are very popular on this forum and it's great because if anyone has questions, someone here been down that road. I just like to explore all the alternatives openly, If fuelers work for you that's great, but the thing I like most about this forum is hearing everyones opinions (why they think there's is best) and that gives me the tool's I need to work with, to make the right decisions for me.

Great post Chopper! I know that this is one of the purposes of this board, to become a bit of a classrooom. For me, when I was researching this topic, there was some posts about difficulties in having competent people set up a map for your bike as well as negative posts about things dealer would or would not do. I know confusion is typical on just about any topic, so this is normal. Then there is the whole warranty issue is something goes wrong. It is tough to figure out, especially when you are new to all of this, like I am, and suddnely find yourself with a riding addiction that you don't want to miss because you messed up your HD.

Additionally people can think they are saying the same things (in previous posts) but all that really matters is how the message is digested. Sometimes things just don't make sense until they are said in "your language", even if they have been said 100 times before.

Again, I think this board has many different opinions, as it should, but I have not observed anyone trying to steer rookies into a bad place. The internet is a difficult place to put your trust, I think this board is pretty trustworthy.

Thanks to the moderators and the members!

man, if i can understand half of what you guys can tallk about, I will be happy. But, thanks all. now, i got it. Chopper, thanks for clarifying about the tuner. At this point, i will be happy with just having the stage I done by the dealership and enjoy the ride when spring comes around.

The heavy breather weather you go with the cone or the Flat one will give you the most flow. Just chnaging the filter provides a little more flow than stock.

thanks for answering the next question. the cone is bit more expensive and i guess you have to be into that look to get it. i am leaning toward the cone for the fat boy, but we shall see.

The HD heavy Breather is not that bad a price you should have no problem getting the 20% discount for it. It is better built than the arlen ness one and has the KN kilter you clean and recharge. As for the install it is simple to do.
The problem with just a filter chnage is down the road you want more flow you just waste the money spent may a s well do it right he first time.

I see. Yap, will get 20% discount (got the dealer to give me the discount for a whole year along with a free 1,000 mile service). thanks for the advice.

Hey Chooper, I certianly wasn't advocating a fueler as the only choice, just trying to explain in a different way how the system works. I must not have done a very good job and I appologize for possibly missdirecting anyone. I"m probably guilty of knowing only enough to be dangerous. I will share my expeirience though as it pertains to how my bike performed before I added a TFI and after. My stock 07 flht rode great untill I took it on a road trip across the state on a warm (95 degree) weekend. It was loaded down with 2 up and trying to pass a car on a long stretch of 2 lane there was no power and terrible pinging. The pinging only got worse after that, I told the tech at my dealer and they told me HD was working on a new download to overcome this
to a degree. They also advised that the best way to combat this was to keep the rpms up which did help some. After I installed the TFI ( I chose it because of its price and user freindly function) I have no performance issues and no more pinging.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Harley.:hii

Harley I apologize also, I did not really mean for my post to be directed at you or fuelers so directly, I too only know enough to make me dangerous. I felt like words were being put into my mouth when you said (Sooo, for what your suggesting the TFI or similar product will perform excellent) I did say they were alternatives, but did not remember using the word excellent. I can't type or spell and sometimes my one finger that I type with is faster then my brain. (a few fellow motorist can attest to that) Fuelers, although I would not use one, does not mean it's not a good choice for someone else. I just wanted it known that a download is also a choice. I personally felt that was one to be considered by hdrocks being a new bike under warranty, if it did not perform well, you can take it back to the dealer and say HEY, and not get the run around it's the fuelers fault when it might be something totally unrelated. I apologize again because I do enjoy hearing yours and everyone else's experiences, they are all I have to gauge my own on.
Ride on:cheers

Thanks Chopper, I have to admit that I did wait untill my warrentee was up before I installed it. And maybe exellent isn't the most descriptive, but I have been very satisfied with its attributes and ease of application, something which is necessary for one with limited mechanical talent as I.
my turn to buy:
:cheers

Back