free website stats program screaming eagle heads | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

screaming eagle heads

Even an incremental power increase can add enjoyment to a bike. I put a "torque" cam in my Electra Glide. Just winding it out through the gears, it doesn't feel much different than before. But I can hold it one gear higher than I used to. Less shifting (not important), but it just feels better to me, especially on curvy roads or hills. MPG is the same. And like many people with motorized toys, I like tinkering with it nearly as much as riding it.

dolt, i can tell you my bike is the only harley i've ever ridden so with nothing to compare it to, i can well imagine what you're saying, im no stranger to the more is better school as in my '91 vette story . so its a real nice dog..and breeze3at, i think i know what you're saying about rpm..or maybe its an altogether different can of worms, but i like my 88b fivespeed combo for the reasons i think you're saying..i can run so nice in 4th gear from 40mph to 70...no tach but i think from charts thats about 2100 rpm to 3500 rpm.. a great pull and plenty left if you wanna rev it higher..i guess a 6 speed loses some of that..i l ike to use a lower gear if it makes sense. nice to have the torque right there..

dolt, i can tell you my bike is the only harley i've ever ridden so with nothing to compare it to, i can well imagine what you're saying, im no stranger to the more is better school as in my '91 vette story . so its a real nice dog..and breeze3at, i think i know what you're saying about rpm..or maybe its an altogether different can of worms, but i like my 88b fivespeed combo for the reasons i think you're saying..i can run so nice in 4th gear from 40mph to 70...no tach but i think from charts thats about 2100 rpm to 3500 rpm.. a great pull and plenty left if you wanna rev it higher..i guess a 6 speed loses some of that..i l ike to use a lower gear if it makes sense. nice to have the torque right there..

Well, we are together on the five speed; I have never felt the need for a sixth gear. As a matter of fact, I have installed a Twist Gear kit that increases the torque multiplier of the first four gears by 10% (effectively lowering the final drive ratio in the first four gears) but retains the 1:1 final drive ratio of 3.15:1 and also closes the "step" between the first four gears making them a close ratio four speed.

you hit the nail on the head, I fine that my biggest problem is I can't leave well enough alone, got to make it the best it can be

I'm with you dolt on the cubic inches being better. I've rode some high hp bikes and love the power. I've had this bike for 8 yrs.(bought it with 2500 mi. on it . have put an additional 129000 mi. on it, its just like an old shoe that fits prefect, what i need is 2 bikes and thats what will probably happen. but thanks for the info and the help as always it's good sharing info with everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
Back