free website stats program Sat Too Long / No Start | Harley Davidson Forums

Sat Too Long / No Start

joel

So with a few work related injuries my bike has been just sitting in the back room at the shop.
I was installing the WHIM system and saddle bag brake / run turn signal lights when while working on a customers car I tore the retina in my left eye, so the bike was put on hold, than pushed into the storage room.
Yesterday I decided my eye has healed enough and I was done waiting for wrist and knee doctors to decide on surgery dates and went down to the shop to bring the bike home.
Well even though I had washed it a few month back I didn't put a cover on it so it was very dusty.
I still had the seat off and needed to reinstall the front driving lights. I was thinking as I was sitting on the frame while pushing the bike outside that if I had a thin seat that it would make a low ridder out of it, than I remembered I'm an old guy and I like padded seats now.
I grab the air hose and blow gun and blow the dust off best as possible before I start the bike up.
Starter cranks the engine until it is almost dead, not liking the un needed stain on the starter I first plug in the battery tender to recharge the battery while I put on the seat.
I try to start the bike again and quickly realize the trickle charger isn't going to cut it, so I grab a new battery from the rack and try to jump it, still no start, so I grab a battery that is 850 cold cranking amps, cranks over nicer but no start.
Thinking the engine is flooded I remove the seat and battery retaining cover and put the battery charger on.
While it's charging I installed the new lenses for the blinkers that I melted down a few weeks ago while using a torch, a long story in its self. And re install the driving lights.
I also decided to remove a spark plug to see how wet with gas they got from the slow crank no start symptom I put it through.
At this time I see why the engine won't start.
I had removed the tank for the WHIM install and didn't hook up the fuel line.
I flip the power switch on and hit the start button, fires right up like I rode it yesterday.

A wise old man once told me to “Always look for the simplest reason first” when trying to troubleshoot anything. Being an industrial maintenance and electrical technician for 34 years that piece of advice has come in real handy many times.
Glad you got her running.

Back