free website stats program Safe to make 600 mile trip so soon? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Safe to make 600 mile trip so soon?

I was told today to not go to synthetic till i put around 1000 miles on her any input on this?

I agree that you should use the "oil the bike came with" Until At Least 100 miles and use the 30/60/30 method of break-in.(.)

On MY bottle of "Redline 20/50" it says ""Not for break-in of engines. allow 3000 miles""

I have switched right over to redline on many new motors sooner than it called out for on the bottle , even thou the Redline Engine oil bottle does say to do different...

I did my 30/60/30 10 times off the showroom floor.. But waited to changed my oil at 600 + miles instead of 100 miles like it was called for by this break-in method...
Mostly, because of Where I bought my bike away from home in Bend Oregon, the trip home to Wa. was 600 miles. So I did the 30/60/30, also did a full 100 miles of back roads, up and down thru the gears before i started 2 up and home,I still Varied Speeds, never constant for any length of time... I was completely broken-in when I got home.

I did change over to full synthetics, "All", at that time to "My" Redline products.. All to redline means, 20/50 engine, MTL primary in primary case, shockproof heavy in the tranny... I would of changed "engine oil and filter" at 100 miles and again "ALL" oils at 1000 miles if I would of been at home with the bike.....

I have Never had any problems with the many New motors that I changed out "Early" to full synthetics....

Just wanted to point out what it says on Redline full synthetic engine oil.
Other full synthetics may call out different on the bottle.

signed....BUBBIE

thanks to all input she is changed,loaded and im gonna leave a half day early.i have no time limits and no where i have to be so it will be a good trip!i found old girlfriend from 24 years ago on the computer and gonna make my way to decatur alabama.hmmmmm not real sure how that will go but the trip down and back should be fun!!!!!!!i should have asked this earlier but any must see places between ohio and alabama i can check this to see gone from tues threw next tues the 1st of june?thanks again and i'm south bound and out!!!!

Hahahah Hoople. Good point though. I've got about 1500 miles on my rebuild and she's running strong. I just changed oil and still using HD 20-50 for this next 3000 k Then switching back to Mobil 1 Synthetic. Synthetics are so slippery i'm afraid the breakin won't fully occur. To each their own I guess. Added oil cooler and she's running about 15-20 cooler then before. Have a good trip. Can't wait to take a longer run myself.

Glider , after reading several coments from you about syn3 , I can clearly see you don't like it , I have to ask why ? Did you have a bad experience at sometime ? Just curious I run the mobile and spectro in mine because of your and others input but I just had to ask . My big question is why MOCO puts it in their CVO line if it's so bad ?

Glider , after reading several coments from you about syn3 , I can clearly see you don't like it , I have to ask why ? Did you have a bad experience at sometime ? Just curious I run the mobile and spectro in mine because of your and others input but I just had to ask . My big question is why MOCO puts it in their CVO line if it's so bad ?

BUBBIE here,,,,,, My take on this until Glider appears...
The main concern I have is that it is Only a Partial synthetic oil, and harley calls out for use in all 3 holes is a Joke... Syn3 isn't a Good motor oil and surly not good in the primary as a few have had their wet clutches get sticky... Not a Gear Lube that the tranny Requires, Much too light and not gear wear additives I want there in My book(any book)...

BIGGEST for Me,,, it is made in Venezuela and hugo chevez (no caps for his name!) the hater of free America is making a killing on what ever is bought from him... That alone will call for a boycott by Me!!!

Hope this helps you!!

signed....BUBBIE

For one thing it's overpriced dino oil which is a "blend" made from dino base stocks and not a true synthetic by any means. It took a gaggle of lawyers to get it called a synthetic "blend".
Secondly it's made by Hugo Chavez and that needs no explanation.

The MOCO puts it in their CVO bikes because it's the closest thing they sell to a "synthetic oil" and they have to give you something for the price they charge for the CVO bikes.:s

I didn't realize that stuff was made by hugo that in it self is a good reason for anyone not to buy it in my book .

Back