free website stats program Rust on crossment bar | Harley Davidson Forums

Rust on crossment bar

Dublin Dave

On a weekend clean of my RK 2007, ive' noticed rust on the Lower frame crossment bar, whish is just under the voltage regulator. Is this a common fault and what is the best procedure to restore the bar.
Warranty up in July of this year....!

Also a clicking sound from rear of bike when riding.. the sound as if somting is stuck in rear tyre... the first place i looked... but nothing there.. anybody having the same problem...!
Cheers guys
dave:newsmile07:

Since your warranty is up,I would sand the rusty part,apply some corrosion inhibiting primer ,then some gloss black paint.Because of where it is on the bike I would just use a paint brush instead of trying to mask it off and spray it,no one will know the difference.

Check your drive belt for cracks and/or missing teeth this will produce a clicking sound,if that is not it I would check the rear caliper and pads to make sure there is no slack in the keepers

Thanks Steve,
Just rang the Dealer, he's going to do a warranty check on the bike next Friday, and it's still covered under the two year warranty from new, so ill' have a look myself before going over, i mentioned the cross bar rust problem and they will address that also.
But im just wondering is this a problem rust area on the bike as it is directly in line of fire from the front wheel, if so a latex 3 pak paint is going on.
Cheer's

There is a product called Frame Saver that is awesome for this type of application. As for the noise, you may want to check your drive belt for freying and pullys for flaking.

On a weekend clean of my RK 2007, ive' noticed rust on the Lower frame crossment bar, whish is just under the voltage regulator. Is this a common fault and what is the best procedure to restore the bar.
Warranty up in July of this year....!

Also a clicking sound from rear of bike when riding.. the sound as if somting is stuck in rear tyre... the first place i looked... but nothing there.. anybody having the same problem...!
Cheers guys
dave:newsmile07:

That cross member takes a beating from the debris kicked up from the front tire. I put the 3M clear covering on mine when it was new and there's no damage to the paint at all. It's like a heavy duty clear tape.

Something like this only I got the 2" wide tape and cut it to shape.

Bulk 3M paint protection film by the foot

Sound advice guys yet again, the 3M clear sounds just the job glider, if i had known of the problem i could have addressed it earlier:small3d012:

Ill be checking out the frame saver also that Jim has mentioned, and a serious look at my drive belt as mentioned by most post's.

Its great to have a forum like this as i
m surrounded by Fast jap motorcyclists, who love to give me a slagging.:29:

Regards
dave

Nothing against Jap bikes, I ride with friends who ride them. They love to talk smak. I just laugh it off because I always seem to get the last laugh when we stop different places and people always like to admire bikes. My Harley always get the most attention and positive comments even though it is not the flashiest bike in our group.

Back