free website stats program Runs rough cold, random hesitation..choke does not improve (if it aint' broke - dont fix it!) | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Runs rough cold, random hesitation..choke does not improve (if it aint' broke - dont fix it!)

perhaps worth shimming the needle a little to raise its height and then give a little more fuel at any point

had a lot of problems with the cv on my 92 softail custom mikuni fixed them

Brian

Bought a new needle (identical to the one the stealer just installed but just to be safe), and a new brass fuel inlet, which has changed up from the existing plastic original on the bike.

Question #1: the plastic fuel inlet on the carb has a crack is leaking gas albeit very slowly. Could this crack have anything to do with my problem? for example, if air is seeping into the carb at the inlet could it lean things out or prevent needle shut off?

Question #2) how do I remove/replace the fuel inlet joint without ruining the carb?

Thanks,

Cambo

it might be worth changing the float needle again as you may have a bad one now the rubber coating on the tip of the needle is easily damaged and can harden with age (just cos its newly fitted doesn't mean its a good one)
and the problems started after it was fitted id go back there again

the level in the float bowl should be below the top edge of the float bowl
approx 3/4 full

if you get frustrated enough to change the carb don't dismiss the mikuni hsr42as i found it works well for me and doesn't ice up the same in the early months of the year (its on the 92 softail) yet the 93 Sportster and 94 Dyna work OK with the standard CV a wee bit of icing on the Dyna

hope this helps

Brian

HS42 on order from jp cycles... I have sunk too much time and money into this lemon. I am looking forward to increased torque and performance as many claim comes with the Mikuni HS42.

There is an increase in performance with the mikuni carb
but i was having a few issues with the standard cv carb had a lot of icing making the bike no fun to ride in the early part of the year Jan to April must be too much moisture in the air here there are additive available for the petrol to help reduce the problem but as the mikuni has a larger throat and different design doesn't suffer the same problems
simple to fit worked well straight out of the box after a while i fitted mine with a mikuni air cleaner that was designed for the later models that breathe through the heads and fitted a filter to the original breather tube coming out the crankcase
none of this was planned it just evolved as i went a long and was able to find the parts
but the whole setup works well
hopefully yours will be working well soon

Brian

HS42 on order from jp cycles... I have sunk too much time and money into this lemon. I am looking forward to increased torque and performance as many claim comes with the Mikuni HS42.

Don't expect much. The CV is a really good carb; you could have purchased a used CV40 for less than $100.

cv_vs_mikuni.jpg

Don't expect much. The CV is a really good carb; you could have purchased a used CV40 for less than $100.

cv_vs_mikuni.jpg

Thanks for the info., if it runs the same exact performance I will be pleased as punch. To Brian's point, I also live in a cold climate (Canada) so the tolerance to icing is an added bonus. I am not knocking the CV stock carb but three HD dealers and two independant shops all pointed to Mikuni as the best replacement so I anticipate that it is the right decision.

Thanks for the info., if it runs the same exact performance I will be pleased as punch. To Brian's point, I also live in a cold climate (Canada) so the tolerance to icing is an added bonus. I am not knocking the CV stock carb but three HD dealers and two independant shops all pointed to Mikuni as the best replacement so I anticipate that it is the right decision.

Let us know how that works out for ya.

Let us know how that works out for ya.

Installed the new Mikuni HS easy kit carb today, took about 30 minutes, hardest part was replacing the spring and plunger on the enrichener cable. Once that spring flies out of your grip, you are going to spend some time searching the garage for it. The mounting is a little different as the adapter slightly changes the angle of the backplate and mount rigidness. The new carb definitely put the screamin' back into the eagle. There is a considerable performance difference, most notibly on low to mid range. I could not go too crazy to see what she had as it had just been raining outside and the roads were a little slick. Definitely well worth the investment!!

I might spring for a K&N air filter if someone could confirm that it would further improve performance? ie is it worth the money?

I put a K&N filter in mine, noticed a difference right away.

They do breathe much better than a stock filter.

In fact, so much better that I started to run 10 degress warmer, with more popping.
Had to put the stocker back in, I now have to buy a TFI..

Well, its what I telling the wife :)

Back