free website stats program Running on battery only??? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Running on battery only???

Stator BURNT?

Take off the Adjuster or Derby cover and SNIFF the oil... Smell BURNT?:smell
Bad Stator....

No Smell, could be the voltage regulator OR other...

signed....BUBBIE

When my battery died on my old Kawi, I lost everything, because the battery acts as a capacitor and evens out the voltage from the stator. In this case, it left me stranded.

I wonder how long these stators last in a Sportster or Electraglide?

Voltage regulator went out this weekend on my '07 Ultra, but the stator stills seems fine. Little over 135,000 miles on the clock now.

To answer a couple of responses...Thanks for the mileage estimate...if I am a ways out from recovery, I would unplug my headlight...it's probably the biggest drain...in hopes of getting more miles before dead.

As far as the stator life...the old one had been in the bike for 20 yrs and has 250,000 kms on it...That's alot of churning in primary gunk!

It did not show any obvious burning but was clearly shorting to ground. Could just have been old age and the eventual breakdown of the insulations. It was still making volts!. I put a new one in, within a day and all is running fine.

my 89 sporty got 103 miles on a full charge. little tip if the bike dies while riding turn off/unplug headlight push start it will make it home or at least 20 more miles.

hope this helps
lucky:D

Back