free website stats program running bad | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

running bad

Ah.....but I didn't say pork chops and vinegar peppers smothered in onions and brown gravy now did I? :s

See that, EVERYBODY knows about Cathy's meatballs. I was promiced some in the future but I'm still waiting on them.:D

Ok guys i got a good one here. I went out to start working on the bike and to my surprise it runs good now....

You said the problem was a function of temperature. Was the bike fully warmed up. Problems that are temperature related are not usually predictable problems because temperatures will vary some and so will expansions of parts. Are you saying the bike never had a good day or a time when it would be fully warmed up and it would run fine?

No. The bike always ran good. just road to South Carolina and back totalling 2800 miles without a hitch. the bike has 60,000 miles on it and this is the first issue i ever had with it. then i got caught in the rain. it still ran fine. three days later i cleaned the bike and went for a ride and that is when the problem started. i thought maybe it was a water issue so that is why i drained the gas and all of the other stuff that i stated in the original post. then after reading what you all had to say i left the bike alone and worked the last week and started last night to go over the ideas that you guys threw at me but i didn't need to do anything because it now runs good. i still want to figure out what maybe went wrong because i don't need the same thing to happen when i am on a long trip.

When you look at your original post, you really did not give us much to go by. You listed the parts you changed but the description of the problem was lean.

With few exceptions, I have rarely seen a problem go away all by itself and never return.
If the bike had the problem last week and you did NOTHING to it, and today the bike runs fine, then I believe the problem will return.

When the problem returns, try and collect as much info as you can while it is failing. Place a large load on the bike while under WOT and see if the ignition falls on it's face. Does the bike perform well at WOT but not at idle?. Does the exhaust smell rich at that time? If you add choke, does the engine smooth out or get worse? Try cooling down the ignition module and see what happens. Check and see if the system detected a problem and locked in a DTC.
You have to collect data otherwise all your going to do is spend money on parts and maybe get lucky. You may also inject a new problem into the mix you did not have before. I have seen that happen by shotgunning a repair.

i agree with you. i know if a problem just disappears on it's own it will come back. thats why i need to get to the bottom of what happened. I like to take long trips out of state and would hate to get stranded. after reading what glider said about cooling the ingition module off, that was going to be my next step. now it runs good though.

Back