free website stats program Rockers | Harley Davidson Forums

Rockers

danthern

Feeling a bit confused. I was reading about rockers and it mentioned an intake and an exhaust rocker...can someone explain this please? Is there a difference in the rocker itself?

There are two different rocker arms in a HD engine. One is front intake or rear exhaust, the other is front exhaust/rear intake. The difference is because the pushrods are on the right side, and the valves are on right and left side of head. Hard for me to 'splain, go to ebay and search "harley heads" and look at photos. :s

There are two different rocker arms in a HD engine. One is front intake or rear exhaust, the other is front exhaust/rear intake. The difference is because the pushrods are on the right side, and the valves are on right and left side of head. Hard for me to 'splain, go to ebay and search "harley heads" and look at photos. :s

I guess my question is are they placement specific....As long as the push rod is in it's spot on the rocker and the other end is opening the valve, does it matter? There are 2 different part numbers. Just want to make sure that's not what is causing what I believe to be a valve train chirp in my RKC.....thanks

They are placement specific as you stated. If you try to put a Front exhaust where the Front Intake fits then the push rod won't lone up. But as Breeze3at stated the Front Intake can be used as the Rear Exhaust. I usually label them as I take them out due to wear and keeping that the same. I wouldn't think that is your Chirp. could be though?
tourbox

They are placement specific as you stated. If you try to put a Front exhaust where the Front Intake fits then the push rod won't lone up. But as Breeze3at stated the Front Intake can be used as the Rear Exhaust. I usually label them as I take them out due to wear and keeping that the same. I wouldn't think that is your Chirp. could be though?
tourbox

Thanks..the Harley mechanic at the dealership cleared it up for me. I was essentially trying to be certain that they'd only line up one way, which he assured me is the case. Changing out the breather today just to rule it out. Thank you gentlemen, for your input

Back