free website stats program Rocker Box Leaks | Harley Davidson Forums

Rocker Box Leaks

bagger08

Hello,

Re:Rocker Box Leaks
85 FLTC EVO

Hello,

Problem:

1. Rocker Box Leaks all three levels ( both cylinders )

Preparation:

1. Purchased The Harley Upgrade Gasket Kit ( Has metal Gaskets)
2. Have the factory Harley Manual

Question:

1. Is there any step by step documentation on how to change the gaskets.?

I would like to do this without taking the motor out of the frame.

2. What is the procedure for putting the piston in the right position before you pull the rockers.

I have found this to be a very friendly and professional site for technical help.

Many thanks for your help.
Jerry

1. Is there any step by step documentation on how to change the gaskets.?
It should be covered in the factory manual enough to get you through the replacement of the gaskets.

I would like to do this without taking the motor out of the frame.
Shouldn't be necessary to remove the motor. Cut down the short end of the allen key and save the piece you cut off also to use with a wrench where the frame is close to the bolt. You can remove the bolt with either the short end of the key or the piece you cut off and a wrench. When you cut the allen wrench, just leave enough to seat in the bolt head.

2. What is the procedure for putting the piston in the right position before you pull the rockers.
You can use a straw in the spark plug hole and rotate the rear tire with the bike on a jack and in gear until the straw is at the high point. Then check the both rockers to see if they are loose (compression stroke) or have someone turn the rear wheel while you have a thumb over the spark plug hole to feel the compression escaping past your thumb, then use the straw to get the piston at the highest point.

I have found this to be a very friendly and professional site for technical help.

Many thanks for your help.
Jerry

Good luck and you may want to coat the new gaskets with some hi temp RTV very lightly.

You can also gain a bit of clearance if you need it by disconnecting the stabilizer link and unbolting the front motor mount.

Last edited:
I just did this operation on my '98 Road King EVO. In addition to the advice already given, I would add:

1. Invest in the Motion Pro rocker box wrench. Not only does it let you easily access the allen-head bolts, it allows you to use a torque wrench to re-tighten the bolts to proper torque.

2. Take digital photos as you go or have another person there just to help you remember "how did this go?" Heck, have your helper take the digital photos!

Take your time and good luck!

-Craig

Back