free website stats program Roadside Tips and Tricks for getting you Home | Harley Davidson Forums

Roadside Tips and Tricks for getting you Home

Locke

What Tricks have you used to get your wounded bike home? Anyone been broke down on the side of the road and come up with a way to temporarily repair or rig your ride so you could limp home?

Reading ZZroadking's problem with his clutch (lever, cable) started me thinking about how I would react and what I would do.

Years ago a broke throttle cable was rigged by tying a bandanna to the end of the cable, I rappped the bandanna around my palm, and used my thumb to move the throttle. (much like a 4wheeler throttle) Very crude but was able to make it home.

So what tricks, mods have you used or seen used that may help one of us one day?

A couple of years ago when away on a trip with wife both of us on sportsters as we came to the end of the motorway at dunblane i heard a funny rattling jingling sort of sound from the bike so i pulled over in a layby to investigate
i found that the rear rubber mounts for the aftermarket tank had gone missing and that the sound i heard was the rod that went through the frame to which the rubber mounts had been attatched so rear of tank was sitting on the frame
i found some tyre debris in the central reservation of the road and cut it up to wrap round the frame to support the tank i held it in place by my wifes scarf
it lasted well for the rest of the trip and now i always carry zip ties

Brian

Zip ties, when my kicker spring on my 60 FL broke LOL:s

had an old honda that the cluch cable broke. i just shifted it with out it on the way home.

my harley had the rectifier go out and I shut off everything I could that was electrical and I ended up coasting to my driveway. :D

Back