free website stats program Road King Chirp....still chasing | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Road King Chirp....still chasing

Question/suggestion. Would removing the air filter and placing a finger tip over each vent tube while the engine is idling alter the flow momentarily enough to check the vent system as a noise source? How close to the cam cover is the exhaust pipe and heat shield, close enough to interfere with engine shake?

I have the K&N high flow filter so those stock vent tubes aren't present. As to the exhaust, I've ran the engine without exhaust and the noise is present. Thanks for the thought!

No, I was asking about any rub marks on the outside of the top cover because of your statement of No noise with it off. Have you tried to lube the Hyme(sp) on the top stabilizer?
If you placed the bottom gasket on the Rocker wrong then the Umbrella Valve wouldn't vent properly with the cover on but would vent to atmosphere with the cover off.
tourbox

No, I was asking about any rub marks on the outside of the top cover because of your statement of No noise with it off. Have you tried to lube the Hyme(sp) on the top stabilizer?
If you placed the bottom gasket on the Rocker wrong then the Umbrella Valve wouldn't vent properly with the cover on but would vent to atmosphere with the cover off.
tourbox

I guess I'm not understanding what you're asking. I removed the chrome top rocker cover. I don't see how you'd have rub marks on the outside of it. Are we talking about the same cover? I know what you're referring to with that bottom gasket and the channel that has to be open and I'm certain that it's correct (although I sorta want to double check now). I've replaced the breathers without any change in the sound but I may change that front one again while I have it apart. If I'm missing something on the cover rub marks that you're talking about, please set me straight....thanks!

I think the question tourbox is asking refers to the engine bouncing around on rubber mounts and may be coming into contact with something on the outside of the rocker cover creating the chirp hence have you checked for rub marks

Brian

I think the question tourbox is asking refers to the engine bouncing around on rubber mounts and may be coming into contact with something on the outside of the rocker cover creating the chirp hence have you checked for rub marks

Brian

Ah...no rub marks on the outside of the cover...thanks for clearing that up

tourbox

Oh...forgot to address your other question. I've had that stabilizer off and lubed it liberally, more than once

I'm surprised you didn't Notice the post I put in... Or did you just Ignore it?

THE UMBRELLA valve CAN make a bad noise... Right in the middle of the head. You saying the noise Is Not there when the cover is OFF...... LOOSEN the bolts a Little to maybe make it Leak AIR around..... Noise Might be gone... Better yet Just replace the unit... That is the only place for AIR to move IN and OUT...

THINK....... :shock

signed....BUBBIE

The more I think about this the more sense it makes....I'll let you know, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
fin 676 cleared it up. That's what I was thinking about. If you lubed those joints then I'm out of ideas. Keep searching and let us know.
tourbox

I'm surprised you didn't Notice the post I put in... Or did you just Ignore it?

THE UMBRELLA valve CAN make a bad noise... Right in the middle of the head. You saying the noise Is Not there when the cover is OFF...... LOOSEN the bolts a Little to maybe make it Leak AIR around..... Noise Might be gone... Better yet Just replace the unit... That is the only place for AIR to move IN and OUT...

THINK....... :shock

signed....BUBBIE

Loosened the breather bolts and ran the engine...only thing I got was oil puking through the air filter. I'm gonna replace that breather tomorrow just to be sure. Also added another top cover gasket as was suggested and went for a ride....you guessed it, no change....the quest continues, keep those ideas coming! I appreciate it!

Well, I'm still with my nemesis chirp. I changed the oil breathers and also replaced the primary chain just because it was something that wasn't replaced recently. A fellow recently told me to change the cams as it's the only part of the valve train that hasn't been replaced. The dealer was in there and changed out both cam chain tensioners and the bearings behind the cams and said he didn't see anything that concerned him.... I can't swear how close he looked at them though. To refresh your memory, bike runs great, has an audible chirp on idle that increases in volume under a load with acceleration. Decreases dramatically on decel. If you care to peruse this post you'll see the things that have already been done....any fresh ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Just do like I do in my 1990 Ford F250 work truck with 500,000 miles on her. Turn the stereo up to max volume and any noises that were present before, magically disappear. Its the simplest and most cost effective solution. :s

Just do like I do in my 1990 Ford F250 work truck with 500,000 miles on her. Turn the stereo up to max volume and any noises that were present before, magically disappear. Its the simplest and most cost effective solution. :s

I'm beginning to think that's the thing to do...no tunes but earplugs make it tolerable. I could make the pipes louder....just hate to settle....

Back