free website stats program Road glide shuts off. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Road glide shuts off.

Agree with above but awhile back there was a service bulletin on some model(s) that I cannot remember the details, that part of the fix was to replace the problematic maxi with the 50amp version. You guys remember that and which model it was ?

Bulletin M-1151A
Main Circuit breaker replacement

http://box.net/rssdownload/322675580/Main%20circuit%20breaker%20replacement.pdf

The main circuit breaker on my 2003 E/G would trip out and lose all power. I upgraded from the 40 amp to the 50 amp and the problem went away. I done this upgrade back in 2009 and have not had any more problems nor have I created any new problems by doing this. The 40 amp breaker would heat up ( being under sized) and trip out. Not a fun feeling when you are in heavy traffic. Just saying.

Wow, good catch, both of you. I stand 100% corrected. In this situation, you're perfectly justified swapping the 40 amp CB out for a 50 amp one.

Actually dump all the circuit breakers and convert over to a Maxi Fuse. It's worth the extra work. Those circuit breakers have voltage drop problems even when they are brand new. That's the reason why they say to up the size to a 50. The system is not drawing 40 amps to start with, but anything near the mid 30's will make them hot.

Actually dump all the circuit breakers and convert over to a Maxi Fuse. It's worth the extra work. Those circuit breakers have voltage drop problems even when they are brand new. That's the reason why they say to up the size to a 50. The system is not drawing 40 amps to start with, but anything near the mid 30's will make them hot.

That makes some good sense. Not sure what brand breakers HD uses but I've had the same scenario in homes, I won't use any breaker except Square D. Most all of their 20 amp breakers will trip at 18 to 19 amps. Some of the other brands will trip at 15 amps and even worse some brands like the old Senco won't trip till 25 amps.

Anybody know if the changing from HD breakers to HD fuses requires any modifications or do they both just clip in the same ?

He brought the bike in for this problem and they said they could not get it to do it so there was nothing they could do. He found out through the service records that the main breaker had been upgraded. He has noticed since the problem started that it seems to only do it when the bike has been running for an extended period of time. We went on a 200 mile ride yesterday and it finally tripped the check engine light so we are hoping to know something more soon.
WAP.gif

The two studs on the circuit breaker must be clean as well as the ring terminals on the wires. Also check the wires where they go into the ring terminals, look for broken strands of copper. If there are any broken strands replace the ring terminal with a new one. Reassemble the terminals on the circuit breaker making sure the studs are clean and free of rust and the nuts are tight. Coat them with silicone grease or DeOx (for Aluminum wire) after they are tightened to protect the connections from rust and corrosion.

Back