free website stats program Rim Failure | Harley Davidson Forums

Rim Failure

glider.

BOT Machine
Here's a link posted by "Petiej" to show what to be aware of with rim problems...

Rim Failure Alert

Rim Failure Alert

We are investigating motorcycle rim failures in the wake of two reports of catastrophic tire deflations involving Harley Davidson Ultra Classics. Both were steel chrome-plated 40-spoke factory rims. The investigation was prompted by information sent to Unsafemotorcycles.com arising from incidents in Michigan and Ohio.
michigan_rider_rim.jpg

A Michigan man riding a 2001 Ultra Classic reported he was traveling in October 2009 along a two-lane state highway at about 40 mph when his rear tire suddenly deflated. "There was no warning, no sound, and all of a sudden the rear of the bike became extremely loose, squirrely, uncontrollable," he said. He credited experience as a life-long motorcycle rider and Motorcycle Safety Foundation classes for his ability to stop without going down. "I knew, don't panic, don't slam on the brakes, bring it down easy. I was fortunate," he said. The tire had less than 1,200 miles on it and had been installed at a Harley dealership, which also reported they had inspected the rim, he said. There was no hole in the tire, a D402, just a shredded tube and a long, lengthwise crack in the rim.

ohio_rider_rim.jpg

A friend from Ohio experienced a similar rim failure in September, 2010, prompting the Michigan rider, an engineer, to report the two incidents to the site. In the second instance, the friend was traveling 78 mph on I-75 when the tire gave way. "He crossed three lanes of traffic before he reached the berm where he could start applying brake to the front wheel. He almost didn't make it," he said. The Ohio rider, an automotive mechanic, was on a 2003 Ultra Classic. The tire was a Messler, again with no sign of puncture. The rim shows a long, vertical crack.
The Harley dealerships and Harley corporate office could shed no light on the problem and assumed no responsibility, according to the reports. Unsafemotorcycles.com is looking into the incidents. If you have experienced a similar issue, please contact us through this site.
Rim Failure Reports

1/14 - In Oct of 2010 I had a rim crack just like these at 70 mph. 1999 Harley Ultra Classic. The tires have about 5000 miles on them. Harley Dunlop Tires. I managed to keep the bike under control, my wife and I got off safely. Dave

1/13 - End of summer2009 I had to replace my rear rim on my 2006 ultra classic It was a very scary, uncontrollable, all spokes were loose...I refused to put spokes back on or leave the front one on for obvious safety reasons... Gary

1/12 - Canadian couple reports rim fracture leading to serious injury in August of 2009. They were headed back to Canada following a 26-day trip traveling across the U.S. when they experienced a sudden tire deflation. I did not panic, did not apply breaks, trying to control the motorcycle while bringing down the speed and that down to 40 km. Then, my wife and I were ejected from the motorcycle,� the rider reported to us. He sustained minor injuries. However, his wife suffered multiple fractures and continues to need medical care. They were towing a small trailer at the time, as they had during the entire trip. Just a few weeks earlier, he had a new rear tire and tube installed, plus new brakes, at an H/D dealership. Weather was clear and dry. The rim is pictured here.

1/5 - On my 1997 Heritage Classic the rear rim split 12" in the center of the rim and the Avon tire blew. Dennis

12/25 - I had a piece of my rim crack and break off on my 2005 Ultra Classic. I was traveling on I-80 from PA to IL. I was fortunate that I noticed the crack and was able to safely stop before the piece broke off and the tire deflated. I had the rim ant tire replaced, but still have the old rim and tire. Gayle

Bearing Failure Reports

12/30 - I have a 2008 FLHS Streetglide H/D. With a little over 16,000 miles, the front wheel bearings went out causing damage to the front wheel. A new wheel and bearings were needed to fix the problem. No injuries this time!! On 11/13/10 is when the bearings went out. Bike was fixed at the Laredo Texas H/D. Noel

Back