free website stats program Riding with 2 quarts only | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding with 2 quarts only

fabrozor

Hi,

Today i checked my engine oil level after 1100 miles.
I had a valve stem seal leakage, i needed to add 1 quart, that means i rode with only 2 quarts 1100 miles long.
The oil red light did not lighted up.
Do you think the engine suffered of this ???

Thanks.

Most likely no, I find with a oil temp gage you would see a higher then normal oil temperture.
kemo

And just remember IT didn't All come out at one time. a leak takes time to lose oil.

You should be fine running two quarts and the 1 quart low won't hurt a thing but if Hot Out it will shorten the Life of the 2 quarts left in the bike if the oil ran hotter than 240*.

signed....BUBBIE

I can remember a friend riding a rat Shovel head for 20 miles with no oil, it locked up tighter than dicks hat band, evos and twin cams are a bit more forgiving , 2 qts should be O K till you can top off or change JMO

Saw an Evo engine that ran 1/4 of the summer as the owner hooked the oil lines up wrong. Only oil the clys were getting was the splash oil in the cases.
When it was brought in, it had "aluminum mud" for oil. Still ran.:)
Scott

The key here is the dry sump oil tank method of lubrication is that running low as long as the oil tank or oil pump do not cavitate air to maintain oil pressure...you will be fine. The HD is a pretty robust design with no need for oil splash lubrication as in cars and truck wet sump oiling systems of old.

Back