free website stats program Riding Old Machines | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding Old Machines

I have always wanted the opportunity to ride the old Harleys...such as the panheads, or even shovelheads, but it has now come to fruition. Just for the mere experience of it, I still hope to someday. Since I got back into riding in 1996 I have bought 4 new machines, all touring models.

*correction. I have bought three new touring models and one new softail model.*:newsmile093:

My first Harley back in the late 70's was a 1947 Knuckle EL. I once rode from Calgary to Shelby Montana and back to Calgary in one day, ouch! it sure helped being young and riding a ridged frame. The norm back in the before times was to ride, wrench, ride, wrench, etc.

riding the old machines back in the day they were new and no one any different my first bike was a 74 sporty bought in 76, kick start oil leaking vibration 300 miles was a long day then went to a 79 shovel electric start WOW now have a 09 classic and a 47 knuckel in the garage (Sunday driver) with the original hand shift foot clutch but it is very comfortable as the ride goes the front springer starts bouncing and the seat springs get into the same motion you just bounce down the highway but you better have a good set of wrenches for the old machines

Cool picture. Here is one of my Grandpa around 1945. Looks like the same bike.

Where was this image of Grandpa Orth taken? I noticed he is wearing his "sidearm" in the cross draw position. Was he a police offier? Thanks a heap for posting...very nice image.

Where was this image of Grandpa Orth taken? I noticed he is wearing his "sidearm" in the cross draw position. Was he a police offier? Thanks a heap for posting...very nice image.

Frigidaire Factory in Dayton Ohio. He was a guard, the guards wore side arms during WW2. He was a Farmer all his life.

My kids got me the same tank emblems(for the RoadKing) for fathers day a few years back. We have that picture enlarged and framed hanging on the wall.

The 1938 is what year I thought the bike was.

Yeah, this guy is really cool. has a '48 dodge business coupe he is restoring. A 2 dr with no rear side windows. Got as much room behind the front seats as a minivan.

Back