free website stats program Riding in Canada | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding in Canada

flybikes

I am looking forward to getting a bike soon and I am thinking about riding across canada. I was wondering if anyone has ever done this> I was looking for some tips and pointers and any mapping suggestions.

The most fantastic ride I took was east starting from Thunderbay. If I were to try to describe the sights to you, I would be here for quite a while. If you are looking to get all the details on the best rides in Canada, you can go to superiorcountry.com/cycle.

thanks so much for the referral, looks like a great place for onformation. We have vacationed in Canada nearly every summer for the last 15 years. I cannot wait to ride there next time around!

We were in Quebec for 2 weeks last summer and i saw lots of bikes while i was there. It is a beautiful area and well worth a trip I would think. We may take one of our first longer trips up that way.

I will have to consider Quebec, it is not too long of a drive north from here and I think there are some nice open areas, mountains, waterfalls and all there too. I am gonna go read more about this!

I'm in western Canada, and there tend to be a lot of bikers here in the summer. I'm assuming you won't be riding across Canada in the winter. ;) If you look online at a map of Canada, there is a highway that runs from I believe somewhere in Ontario all the way to the coastline in Vancouver, B.C. I'm in Alberta and I know it's such a beautiful province to see. It reminds me a lot of Colorado (the southern part anyway). If you go to yahoo and type in yellowhead highway, and then click on images, you can get an idea of what you'd see. Hope that helps!

Thanks Chopper Chick, i did a little looking around and that looks like a dream area to do some extensive riding. Beautiful country you have there and it seems like for the most part no more than moderate company on the road too. I may have found me a new destination!!

flybikes, no problem! You're right about company on the highway. We definately don't have budy highways/freeways like in the U.S., and for the most part traffic usually flows well inside and outside cities. As well, people tend to be especially cautious and relatively cool about bikes on the road. If you can, I suggest you guys at least drive through the Banff area where The Rockies are. The view is unbelieveable. There's a great little place I stayed at right on the edge of town called 'Hillside Bungalows'. I found them online. The rates were very reasonable compared to the hotels in the area, and the view from the front window of the cabin was all mountains. It was beautiful.

If you need any help or anything, let me know!

You are like the third person that said we have to do banff. i have seen pictures from friends trips and I have to say that is some breathtaking country. That stopover sounds like a real good one. I am adding it to the list! Thanls againn for your help!!

Here's a link to a blog by a couple who rode across Canada. It gives you a good idea of what's involved in a cross country trip - lots of miles and lots of time. See cyclebahn.com
If you go to Banff you have to take the Icefields Parkway up to Jasper. It's one fantastic ride. See: canadianrockies.net/icepwy

Chas

Back