free website stats program Riding & Camping | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding & Camping

checkout this link for a hammock you can get a cover for. I have on its small and comfortablehttp://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/single-nest-hammock.html

I love to take the bike and head out on two week tours,but when I do that I'm a Motel dweller,anymore my Idea of camping is my 35ft.fifth wheel

I appreciate everyones replys and the links you have thrown my way. I have some excellent ideas now and know what to look for. anything else you think of, throw it my way.

you have not seen the super pop up tents yet you take them out the bag throw them in the air and volia one tent :D

Hey Hobbit, how does that work on a windy day?:eam LOL, here lately, I could literally 'pitch' the tent & never see it again. :newsmile100:

Wiley, it seems that you may spend time in my favorite parts of WV. I do miss the camping in the woods & bicycling from my past sometimes.....but I just can't do it all any more, though I do try. Hubby isn't much for camping these days, too many injuries from the past, but that was excellent advice. :s

Shag, my .02 here, you will want the ground cloth mentioned above, (great idea about the shower curtain BTW), and I would suggest some type of sleeping pad. The problem with the sleeping pads is that I haven't found one that isn't sort of bulky, but the self inflating ones are great & they can be rolled up pretty tight & strapped on the bike. Do shop around online & such, I had a 3 person tent, (for me, but I didn't like my race gear to get wet), but I got it for about $75 on sale, (that was back in the early 90's), so you should get a pretty decent tent for reasonable $$. Oh yeah, you want one with the rain fly as mentioned above. :s

Good luck, have a great trip & take lots of pix for us!

I too have some back problems, and I can have difficulty getting up off the ground. I have done a LOT of camping, and have used a Clark Jungle Hammock. If it meets the needs of your back, it is ideal for bike camping:

1. No need for level ground (I have literally set-up on the side of a road in a national forest)
2. Quickly and easily set-up and taken down
3. Less insects (those of you who have camped on or near a beach, you know what I mean!!!)
4. Cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
5. VERY light and VERY small (2lbs. 15 oz)

Joy on a windy day i take the trailer tent :D seriously its ok once its up and pegged down, its the in the air bit thats fun thankfully it has a strap you can hold :D
It's a good thing! I figured it would have something like that. :s It would be kind of funny though, of course if it wasn't your tent blowing away!

if you are looking for something really compact then the little dome tents mentioned above will work. I like a little more confort since i don't bend or crawl as good as i used to :D... the link will take you to the tent I use and I love it used it on my trip up the CA, OR, and WA coast last summer. Has a place for me and the old lady, my stuff and MY BIKE.. so if it is raining or foggy you wake up to a dry ride hehe. It is pretty compact for what it is and fits on my bike with my other gear np.

Biker Tent | Motorcycle Tent | Tent for Bikes | Tent for Motorcycles | Outdoor Camping

Way cool, room for two AND the bike...:worthy

I use the same tents that my son's Boy Scout Troop uses, a Eureka Timberline 4 man. If a tent is rated for 2 man, then it's barely comfy for 1, if for 4 it's comfy for 2 and so on. In 40 plus years of camping with family and Scouts, I've never felt a need for a ground cloth under the tent. A good tent has a waterproof floor. Keep it clean and dry inside and out an there should be no problems. I also use a good self-inflating mattress pad such as the Thermarest line.

Eureka Timberline 4 Tent from Campmor

Hobbit, I checked out the tent that you reccomended. Looks pretty neat. How much is 55 pounds American?
Can we buy that in the States?

Back