free website stats program Retirement job | Harley Davidson Forums

Retirement job

This is mostly winter day dreaming...

I have 7 1/2 years to go to retirement. Will be 55 years old. Kicking around the idea of wrenching on HDs for a retirement job. Any suggestions? War stories? What is the demand out there?

I'd actually rather work for an independant, but HD would be cool too. Frankly, won't care where I start or what the pay is. Would even be the shop monkey for a while if I had to. After this job, pushing broom and making coffee sounds perfect!

I have 7 1/2 years to go to retirement. Will be 55 years old. Kicking around the idea of wrenching on HDs for a retirement job. Any suggestions? War stories? What is the demand out there?

I'd actually rather work for an independant, but HD would be cool too. Frankly, won't care where I start or what the pay is. Would even be the shop monkey for a while if I had to. After this job, pushing broom and making coffee sounds perfect!

Tough job to get in to with out certificates IMO:s but follow your dreams and good luck

I've thought the same. Either this or long distance truck driving. I can tell you MMI has a school in Ormond Beach, Florida. they are recognized by all m/c manufacturers (at least according to their propaganda) and have a pretty flexible schedule. You might wanna check them out.

Years ago I used to make some money buying bikes in the off season, cleaning them up and selling when it warmed up again. I'm sure it would be more challenging with the economy the way it is. Still it would allow you to pursue your passion. Best of luck - Bob

Knew guy who repaired motorcycles in his garage. Actually did this full time. Don't know if he went as far as rebuilding engines, etc., but for tires, tuneups, minor repairs he couldn't be beat. But, there were two things that kept him successful: 1) he was really, and I mean really, good at what he did. 2) he kept it "low tech", that is no high priced buildings, fixtures, etc. He also was a cash only business. It can be done, but you need to plan.. Good luck...

Bull Dog, Go work for a "good, fair, customer caring dealer". A local VERY GOOD tech started some simple service & maintence in his garage. Started out 8 bikes and only 8 bikes allowed in garage, first come ,first serve. All was going well until his good name got out there. People woundn't take no for answer, where leaving bikes in driveway with notes on whats wrong or what to do. Dealer who he worked for didn't care he did this.
He finally got overwelmed, stopped. Period. Worked out deal with dealer to get more work after hours. At least got home life back and still some more money.
wilks3

To me it would depend on what type of commitment you want to make.
From your post, it appears to me that you don't really need the money or medical insurance that may be offered. (I know 3 people who are technically retired but work a job just for insurance reasons). If you THINK you want to work in a shop but don't really know if it is for you AND you don't really need the money, I would talk to an independent and offer your services free in exchange for an education. Then take it from there if you want to then pay for training and or move on to a more "corporate" setting like and HD dealership.

To me, most of the training is just like anything else. It is supposed to mean you have a base level of proficiency, but that is about it. Sadly it is used as the only way to get your foot in the door. If you are motivated to really learn, I don't always think you need to go to a "school".

Could try to get into a dealer as a service advisor and go from there. I worked at a dealer for 1 year and it was the most fun at any job I have had. Its been 3 years and still miss it. There is a lot of test taking because everyone at dealer needs certifications.

Thanks guys. At this point, like I said, really just a winter time daydream subject. But I will need (strong want) to do something when I hang up my curent job. You guys make some good points.

I think the best options would be 1. Buy solid used bikes at auction, fix up, and sell. Or, 2. Hang around an independant shop long enough that he figures out that he needs me.

I'm with BOB FLHTC, I buy motorcycles right before Christmas when people need money and sell them when the income tax checks hit the mail box. I've been doing this for the last five years and its doing way better than anything in my 401K. I had a co-worker tell me that this is taking advantage of people. I told him that he couldnt be more wrong. He said how do you figure that? I told him that im not forcing anybody to sell their bike nor am i forcing them to buy mine. I kill two birds with one stone. I help them buy Christmas presents and cure them of cabin fever.

Back