free website stats program Reserve fuel tank | Harley Davidson Forums

Reserve fuel tank

Dswartz

I've always been curious how the reserve tank for carburated bikes work and was wondering if somebody could shed some light on it. Obviously I understand that it isn't an actual separate tank and is basically the bottom of the main tank. I just dont understand how the petcock draws the fuel differently and how it knows when the fuel has gotten to a certain level.

the petcock has two inlets, the first has a tube. when fuel level drops below the tube,
your out of gas. Turn to reserve which connects to the inlets at the base of the petcock. That usees the fuel left in the tank below the tubed outlet.

Maybe this will give you a better idea. The tube is the normal running circuit and the reserve has a feed below that to the left which isn't visible in this picture.

%21BqbfJfgB2k%7E$%28KGrHqMOKjkEu,Y6OlrWBLvrZnoiy%21%7E%7E_12.JPG

gotcha, thanks for the info.

YES and YOU have to REMEMBER to turn it back to the Normal on and OFF RESERVE setting OR next time you WILL be Totally Out Of Gas...

Yes I did this before, easy to do, SO at the time I first Pull into the gas station to fill AFTER on reserve, I turn it back to ON position RELIGIOUSLY... so there is NO.:newsmile08:

I like walking but not Much for getting that gal. of needed fuel... :newsmile055:

signed....BUBBIE

Back