free website stats program Replacing Stock Carb for 7/8 SS Carb | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Replacing Stock Carb for 7/8 SS Carb

Not sure why you have to clean your carb every season and keep rebuilding it. If it's done right the first time, you shouldn't have any problems later on, other than some gunk or debris that might find it's way in there. But if you ride it, gunk shouldn't build up, and some Seafoam would help in case it did. Check the jets like Glider said and put in a new needle valve and new gaskets. Adjust the float properly, get the stock carb working right and hang on to that bike. A '94 Heritage with only 33K is sweeeeet :s
(but if you want to sell it, I'll give you $1000 for it) :D

I am also in the process of trying to debunk 'Harley' myths...you know...like the ones that say: 'If it's leaking it's a Harley' etc. I grew up watching my dad wrench on his all the time (his shovel was pretty quirky, but fun) but I don't ever remember it doing any of that stuff. So I have all of these super 'helpful' people trying to steer me into replacing a bunch of stuff on my bike right away because 'it's the way to go'. I just want something that I know is going to take care of me (as much as I take care of it of course!)and I don't believe that throwing new parts at everything actually solves the problem.

I have run some of the mystery oil through and the popping seems to be gone. I dont' expect to have to clean or rebuild my carb every season either, When referring to a rebuild, I was meaning now. Typically, how long do those last? I think that actually looks a little easier than installing a new one too.

The bike wasn't run much the last two seasons, but since I purchased it I ride it every chance I get and I love it. I am going to hang on to it for quite sometime.

@ Glider, hubby and I were already discussing getting through this season and when we winterize we will probably flush the tank and do the rebuild then. We talked about the jet being the wrong size, so I was glad to see that you brought that up! :D It's nice to get some validation that I am on the right trail......

So...if the stock carb I have is one of the best there is...why do so many people switch out? If well taken care of and it gets the best performance etc.....????

So...if the stock carb I have is one of the best there is...why do so many people switch out? If well taken care of and it gets the best performance etc.....????

Marketing, marketing, marketing. The aftermarket knows that Harley riders have disposable income, and aren't afraid to spend it. That cv carb has done the bike good for 18 yrs. A few bucks for a rebuild kit and a tank flush should keep the grin on your face for several more years. All the aftermarket stuff is best used when you are going for BIG performance gains. For daily dependability the stock carb. is very hard to beat.

Kehine carbs have never worked well in the UK environment we have too much moisture in the air, once the temperature drops below 15 centigrade and there is a lot of moisture in the air the shape of the venturi and the atomisation of the fuel will cause a considerable temperature drop which can result in the moisture freezing on the jets in the carb this is called carb icing
this does not happen to the same degree with the mikuni carb
As the temperature in my area rarely goes above 15 centigrade and it is usually overcast it makes the bikes almost unusable a lot of the time
But with a mikuni carb fitted both big twins are great however my sportster is happy with the stock carb however with a smaller displacement it will draw less air through the carb and does not suffer the icing issues of the big twins

Brian

Breeze is 100 here, there are better carbs for more money its all in how you market it. Nothing wrong with a properly tuned C V :s

Back