free website stats program replacing exhaust gaskets | Harley Davidson Forums

replacing exhaust gaskets

replacing the exhaust gaskets on my 06 fatboy anyone know the torque specs for the bolts where they blot up to the engine

Tighten lower nut to 9 - 18 in-lbs
tighten bottom nut to 100 - 120 in-lbs
Re-tighten top nut to 100 - 120 in-lbs

But you get to the final torque in stages, so that you tighten them down equally.

Wouldn't hurt to re-check torque after a few heat cycles.

Which lower one your telling me to tight two lower bolts at two differnt specs
WAP.gif

My book states too tighten top nut on front cylinder to 9-18 in-lbs, tighten bottom nut to 60-80 in-lbs, then tighten top to 60-80 in-lbs.
Rear cylinder is the same except start with the bottom nut.
This is for my 03 Road King. Cant imagine its any different for yours.

Here it is out of my soft ail manual:
Align exhaust system and tighten all nuts and bolts; beginning at cylinder head exhaust ports and working backwards.
1. Install upper nuts and tighten finger tight.
2. Install lower nuts and tighten to 9-18 in-lbs.
3. Tighten upper nuts to 100-120 in-lbs
4. Tighten lower nuts 100-120 in-lbs
WAP.gif

You don't want to tighten them up after more than a single heat cycle. You don't want to tighten out all of the sealing compliance. They will compress and the torques will lighten a bit after running. As long as not too much, don't retighten more than once, if that.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Tightening after heat cycles wont hurt a thing. 100 in-lbs is a 100 in-lbs. I have reused the same exhaust gaskets and checked torque many times without compressing them all the way. However, that doesn't mean tightening them without proper torque settings.

thanks guys I was able to actually get my buddy to call me back for once and he has the harley manule and he told me the same thing. but get this my local hd shop I called and talked to their top guy and when I asked him about the specs he said TIGHT just run them tight I dont or have ever torqued them id even have to look it up for you im like really ??????? guess ill be looking for a new shop to do work when I cant do my own.

=================================================

and oh I got the se gaskets and rode today for about 60 miles came back and retorqued them and probably got 2-2 1/2 full turns on all bolts dont know if thats normal or not cause this is the first time I have changed gaskets never owned a bike long enough to have to worry about it

Last edited by a moderator:
Back